There are newer employer reviews for DSW

Love my Fellow Shoe Lovers!!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Sterling Heights, MI (US)
Current Employee - Store Manager in Sterling Heights, MI (US)

I have been working at DSW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is so many reasons why I love working at DSW, the people, the product, the challenge, the customers, Everything! But, if I had to whittle it down to one thing, it has to be that I matter. They listen to me, they ask me my thoughts on issues, I am included in corporate initiatives, I am challenged and developed, they support me and charities that I volunteer with, and they allow me to be a business owner. It wasn't always the case, when I first started working at DSW it was very task focused, policy focused, and they have grown with time to become what I feel is one the greatest companies to work for!

Cons

At DSW, they know their faults, they acknowledge them, come up with solutions, and tackle them. For many of us managers we are activators, and we want something now, and are very impatient, but with patience come tested and tried policies, processes, and IT. It is when we rush through something, that is when we have issues; whether it is the scheduling tool, a computer program, or anything else. But they are always quick to rectify it.

Continue on our Journey! We are making great strides, and it keeps getting better!

489 Other Employee Reviews for DSW (View Most Recent)

How many rewards did you get today?.......ugh

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at DSW part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount
    Some of the other employees were great.

Cons

Oh.. Where to start...
    - Managers were obnoxious. All they did was talk in your ear the entire time. They wouldn't stop talking about getting stupid rewards while people were shopping. Talk about tacky. I mean come on. The last thing people want to hear when shopping is, "Do you want to sign up for our rewards program". I think if its at the register, thats great. Just not on the floor. And after ever shift they asked me how many rewards I got on the floor.

- Also on top of the rewards they pushed and pushed me to talk to customers like a million times during their visit. I think if I can cleary see someone doesn't want help.But they just wouldn't stop with that. Its great to be available for customers but the constent questions I had to ask them got on my (and the customers) nerves. What company wants that.?

- I was hired with a couple other people and we were all on the same page about a lot things there. But aparently one of the girls liked to be a brown noser and kiss up to the managers and would tell them what we all said. For example about hating getting rewards on the floor.

Rethink the rewards. Its so gross asking people while their shopping.

When does the yelling stop

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at DSW full-time (less than an year)

Pros

30% off everything!!! 40 hour work week for managers. Merchandising is fun.

Cons

People mistake excitement for being passionate. All the while it just closses off the open door policy. If you like being put down and yelled at DSW is the place to be. And the way that they excuse themselves from treating you like trash is by saying “I’m just keeping it REAL” Thats a REAL MOTIVATOR.

Most managers are told that they will be the next DM which causes a cut-throat non trusting inviroment. NO one can be trusted in the Atlanta.

The company wants to be known as the “Americas favorite place to shop” and “America favorite place to work” But due to payroll you have to close and get out quickly and you BETTER not be an 1 hour over. The problem is that you are not allowed to tell the customers that you are closed, can’t close registers, can’t shut the radio and can’t dim the lights. So what you get nightly are customers in your store until 930-10pm and getting out 30 minutes to an hour later. So is this really “Americas favorite place to work” when your associates are only scheduled till 10pm due to lack of payroll.

Take a look at the treatment in the field

There are newer employer reviews for DSW