Darden

www.darden.com
  www.darden.com
There are newer employer reviews for Darden

Fun, engaging place to work with an openness to hear different points of view from all levels

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Orlando, FL (US)
Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Darden

Pros

Environment, culture and people are the strongest point for Darden.

Cons

Due to ensuring that the right people are hired and don't become overweight in staff, the company does have an intensive interview process and career growth can be slower. However, I feel that it's well worth the time when you enjoy your time at work.

791 Other Employee Reviews for Darden (View Most Recent)

I wouldn't do it again

I worked at Darden

Pros

The flexibility in hours is nice, as is the ability to request off and email the staff while on the internet.

Cons

Bad promos bring is overindulgent guests who sit for hours and don't tip, the manager turnover rate is ridiculously high (I worked there for a year and a half and went through three gms and seven regular managers). The managers frequently had "hate-employees," who would find themselves the target of blanket managerial scrutiny and pressure until they a) quit, or b) were fired. From what I hear from my friends who still work there, Darden's new tip-out policy has cut the wages of the bus and bar staff to save the company money, and is having the servers make it up out of their own tips.

Employees feel like they exist only as replaceable parts to the higher-ups, and that their income is being constantly assaulted by Darden practices. If you want to run a good restaurant, you need to start by treating your employees well.

Tips were only decent.

I worked at Darden

Pros

Flexible shifts and willing to work with part-time servers. I liked working the lunch shifts which were busier than your average lunch restaurant.

Cons

Menu prices and alcohol sales were almost always low. This led to tips that are lower than many higher-end restaurants. Lunch take-home tips averaged around $40 for minimum and $80 for maximum. Dinner take-home tips averaged around $40 for minimum and $100 maximum. Take-home tips of $100 to $150 were very very few and far between. Full-time career servers should seek a restaurant with higher average take-home tips to avoid working many many hours and shifts. These figures are from my personal experience as a server at a busy Olive Garden for 2.5 years.

There are newer employer reviews for Darden