There are newer employer reviews for DataDirect Networks

Great Company

Current Employee - Finance Intern in Chatsworth, CA (US)
Current Employee - Finance Intern in Chatsworth, CA (US)

I have been working at DataDirect Networks as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Fast pace, down to earth people, value engineers a lot

Cons

Finance function is a mess, currently in a trouble of implementing the new accounting information system

Do not create layers as the company gets bigger

22 Other Employee Reviews for DataDirect Networks (View Most Recent)

A rapidly growing, highly entrepreneurial manufacturer of super-scalable storage systems and solutions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA (US)

I have been working at DataDirect Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

DDN is focused on building stuff and it is still run by the founders. Those two things makes DDN highly entrepreneurial and an exciting place to work.

We're currently making the transition from a small business in the $125 million range with 300 employees and mostly US market coverage (two years ago) to twice that revenue, twice the number of employees, and worldwide coverage (today). Despite the Great Recession of the past four years, we're growing at 25% per year in revenue and have healthy profit margins as well. Best of all, the company makes something -- extremely large-scale storage hardware and solutions -- that our increasingly digital world desperately needs and wants. We have innovative technologies that have been perfected in the field for up to ten years, and in an age of patent trolls, we are well protected by solid technology patents. What that means to you is this: the company is healthy and your paycheck is as reliable as one could possibly expect in the the modern world of at-will employment. So, if you're the kind of person who thrives on change, you'd enjoy DDN.

In terms of culture, the single largest segment of our management comes from HP -- and they speak fondly of the old HP, the entrepreneurial HP that loved to build things, not the new HP that loved to gimmick the stock price and just laid off 17,000 employees. As I read the tea leaves, the new management, with the blessing of the founders, wants to make DDN over into a new, improved HP. Your own feelings about the old and new HP will tell you whether or not that's a good fit for you.

In terms of employee compensation and benefits, the pay is competitive but not excessive. Support personnel can choose to work on salary or hourly, depending on whether they want to get paid lots of money for overtime. There are quarterly or annual employee bonuses as well, even for non-sales rank and file. Benefits are competitive with Silicon Valley -- there are medical, dental, and vision insurance plans, FSA plans, short-term and long-term disability insurance, and a 401k plan with a 50% employer match for the first $3,000 contributed each year. And every employee gets stock options.

Cons

Although a fun place to work, DDN is also a chaotic place to work, because we're growing so fast and have so many new employees, including new managers. The right hand often doesn't know what the left hand is doing. BUT we're in the process of fixing that. If you prefer orderly systems and processes, wait a year or two. We're working on those to make the company scalable to the billion-dollar-plus range, but we're not there yet. However, those who want to BUILD those new systems processes should come on board now. There's company-building opportunity here.

Management made the right call in switching Oracle implementation vendors. I'm already seeing results there. Management should also continue the its open disclosure practices in its quarterly Town Hall meetings. Those are helpful to everyone to understand where we're going.

There's a too much one-off decision making at a tactical level that gets reversed the next day or the next week without explanation. Tactical change is always better than sticking with a bad idea. But it would be better still to think and communicate on two levels -- strategically and tactically -- at the same time. Communicate the GOAL as well as the tactical project. That way, if the tactics change but the goal does not, we can all feel like like we're still pushing in the same general direction and not changing course all the time. Constant tactical churn is confusing some valuable long-term employees.

Bizarre environment run by unsavory management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA (US)

I worked at DataDirect Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well-respected technology in some markets, interesting products and markets.

Cons

The office is a gutted out former warehouse, the atmosphere is dingy and boring. The CEO and president used to park their Bentley and Ferrrari in such a way that they would flank the employee entrance...kind of ostentatious and off putting.

Sell out to IBM or Dell.