David Jones

www.davidjones.com.au

Absolute Disastrous Company

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsYour co-workers. Theres always something to chat about, primarily how ghastly the job is.

ConsManagement are atrocious. Having worked in two stores over the course of a year I found management in both store over three departments terrible on the whole. The managers are constantly hounding staff to sell the DJs Amex card to customers, which all the staff know is a dog of a credit card but are forced to do so to keep there jobs. After working there over xmas I had sold numerous cards, whilst my fellow casual sold none. At the end of the period he was fired, yes fired. Although management did not tell him it was over a lack of card sales, it was blindingly obvious as all casuals kept on had sold at least one card.

Furthermore with the understaffing, pressure to sell cards and mismanagement you are getting paid next to nothing. Not even joking, co-workers in there 40s, 50s and 60s were earning $17.40 an hour!

After leaving DJs for another retail role I discovered most retail roles pay in excess of $20+ for someone under 21 like myself, let alone $17 for someone well beyond my age.
If DJs really wants its staff to respect the company, which I can safely say after working in two stores with dozens of staff, they do not, then increasing pay would be step 1 in resurrecting the shreds of respect the staff have towards the brand.

By doing so service to customers and staff harmony would vastly improve. If they don't take action now they will inevitably join the multitudes of other failed big brands in the history books forever more.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to get to the top prepare to sell your soul!

out standing

Counter Manager (Current Employee) Burwood, New South Wales (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones full-time for less than a year

Pros: Dynamic culture and team environments Generous discount Career progression opportunities… Cons: cant think of any >> Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Very Good for earning pocket money

Logistics Assistant (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

I worked at David Jones part-time for more than a year

Pros: David Jones gave us the best salary in retail industry… Cons: Managers were changed quite often. During my 1 year+ stay,… Advice to Senior Management: Get more staff, it's damaging to David Jones' reputation when… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on David Jones.

Worked for David Jones? Contribute to the Community!