Student Finance Consultant

Former Employee - Student Finance Consultant in Tinley Park, IL (US)
Former Employee - Student Finance Consultant in Tinley Park, IL (US)

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My team at that time and helping student find financial resources that would help assist in their education

Cons

Consist frictions between academic, registrar and admission. It seemed as if everyone wanted to pass the buck and not take responsibility. In addition, people were starting to do things because it was coming so driven by admission and getting student enrolled and not helping or considered with if Devry was the right fit for that student.

Advice to Management

Focus on quality and not dollar signs!

reviews filtered by

Lay Off's

Former Employee - Senior in New Brunswick, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Senior in New Brunswick, NJ (US)

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Less people makes for more work. Some say that's a pro.

Cons

It's been about 4 months since 6% of the company was laid off and with this economy, very hard to find a career. Mainly because I was paid a lot of money (main reason I believe in laying me off) and now all of the companies I look for can't meet the demand I was so use to living. DeVry knew I recently bought a home and had a growing family though didn't take that into consideration when laying a Senior Advisor off. They have not helped regarding finding new work with recommendations and I'm still getting emails and mailers from them! I have called and told them to stop emailing or mailing me about their school since it's obvious I wouldn't dare get another degree from them. This has not been done.

Advice to Management

The NJ location has management via who they hang out with and who they have known the longest. The credentials don't need to be involved since it's all about the politics. Playing the politics also allows for harrassment to exist. I'm sure anyone who is from the NJ location knows what that means so no need to go into it further.

2. It's all about the numbers!!

I have been working at DeVry University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At my location, their are various comittees and stretch assignments that you can get involved with that are responsible for growing the organization. Decent pay and great benefits.

Cons

It's all a numbers game and people can become very evil when trying to reach their goals. Absolutely NO work/life balance. If you are good, they will suck the blood out of you!

Advice to Management

Start paying your top employees better and treat them better or they will continue to LEAVE!