Dell

www.dell.com
  www.dell.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dell

Great pay, abusive environment.

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Austin, TX (US)
Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Dell

Pros

Great financial compensation. Very challenging.

Cons

Border-line abuse. The corporate culture says one thing, but, in some cases, managers treat employees however they want. They know it is very difficult for individuals to sue such a large company and some managers are border-line abusive. They also use malignment and rumors that are not factual, to destroy careers.

Walk your walk. If you want good people, be sure your people are being treated fairly all the way through the organization. I believe part of the reason you are in the situation you are in, and not HP or IBM is because you have burned through a lot of good talent and the word on the street is to stay away. As a result you are only attracting the people that are marginally talented, but will work hard. You need to attract the very talented (by treating them right). The very talented don't have to put up with the Dell crap, so they have chosen to go (or stay) elsewhere.

3829 Other Employee Reviews for Dell (View Most Recent)

Once great company stifled by bureaucracy

Former Employee - Finance Consultant in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Finance Consultant in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Dell

Pros

When I was there, the company was never one to rest its laurels and was continuously looking for ways to cut costs, improve process, and bury the competition. This meant you were never be bored with your job. Projects were often very challenging and time consuming, but you had the satisfaction of knowing that your efforts were actually a critical part of the company's strategic direction.

Cons

The company quickly transformed from one of intelligent risk taking at the individual level to one of deliberate conservatism where ideas often faced the scrutiny of multiple focus groups before utlimately being accepted or rejected. Trite, but it got to the point where management often felt as though they were not adding value unless they held a meeting about having a meeting. Toward the end of my time there, I questioned the effort I should put into my work because projects were increasing being delayed, derailed or redirected.

The people you hire are intelligent and creative. Do not stifle them by making every idea they propose run through a gauntlet of approvals.

Good place to work, but challenging to grow within the company.

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Round Rock, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Round Rock, TX (US)

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Dell offeres an environment which is always challenging is a place where you have opportunities to demonstrate your abilities. Like all other companies I've worked for the success of an individual here at Dell is dependent mostly on the individual. It's not a place I would recommend to all of my friends not because I think Dell is a bad place to work at, but rather because Dell requires you to have certain characteristics, one of which is a bit of a tough skin. Much of my happiness here at Dell has been attributed to good teams that I've been fortunate to work on and the friendships which I've had.

Cons

One of the challenges while working at Dell is having to juggle multiple tasks of equal importance. While the company preaches Work Life Balance, it is often difficult for people to truely "turn off the switch" when they go home. There are always 3-4 things on a person's plate at any given amount of time and being able to juggle everything is a daily chore. Communication is so important in getting things done, and too often the people rely on on email versus actually talking to a person to get things done. One other area which affects not only Dell is the ability to offer training, again it's another area which employees are forced to time juggle.

changes are a fact of life. no one likes them but everyone deals with them in their own ways. Enable the employees to a future in their careers at Dell by promoting from within and focusing more on development of people versus always talking about "Projects".

There are newer employer reviews for Dell