Deloitte

www.deloitte.com
  www.deloitte.com
There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte

Best of the Big 4

Current Employee - ERS Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
Current Employee - ERS Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Quite simply, I'm challenged every day to so something different. As a professional services firm, obviously client interaction is the primary job and it's fascinating to me to interact with myriad different kinds of people of companies. The firm does all kinds of client service work, so there's probably some kind of interesting work for anyone interested in the firm. Excuse me if I sound a little "rah rah Deloitte" but the firm takes good care of me and lets me do work I enjoy with people I respect and care about. "The people" is something Deloitte uses as a selling point in recruiting and I do beleive it's more than just hype. The people at Deloitte are bright, motivated, team players. I've worked on a multitude of different projects and made good friends internally at every one. I also have to give special mention to the internal feedback system. Professionals at every level are encouraged to use a formal scorecard system to get feedback from their colleagues about what they're doing and how they can do it better. The scorecards are an invaluable tool for improving job performance.

Cons

This kind of work isn't for everyone. It took me 6 months in the firm before i really found a kind of work I enjoy, and nearly half of the recruiting class I started with have moved on within 2 years. The hours can be long and the travel times can be high. You have to be willing to be a mobile worker. I don't have a desk of my own, and whenever I'm in the home office, I have to reserve space ahead of time.

Senior management does a good job of obfuscating the promotion and compensation adjustment processes. While the feedback process is outstanding, it's hard to tell how that translates back into promotions and raises.

6948 Other Employee Reviews for Deloitte (View Most Recent)

Deloitte offers wonderful opportunities if you're willing to put in the hard work.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

The primary reason to work for deloitte is opportunity. Especially in the New York office where the clients are exceptionally large and the projects are very interesting. The pay seems to be competitive, but you have to negotiate hard for everything. I have been very impressed with the quality and amount of training offered - if you're willing to sacrifice your time, you can learn a lot and explore a few different avenues for a career.

Cons

The usual downsides for a consulting company come into play - long hours, favoritism of certain employees by management, and the necessity to constantly prove your worth to the company. At times this can be fatiguing.

In general, just listen to the people who are working on the project. They often times have a better idea what is happening than you.

Great employer if you are single, work-life balance is a farse.

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

E-learning and overall training is great! Deloitte is great if you are single and working your way up the ladder, but if you have a family, you are toast. If you are a man, your wife is probably a stay at home mom, so that works with keeping the family together. If you are a working mother, life is hard. You are always torn between work, family, your blackberry working overtime 24/7. And God forbid, if both parents are management consultants, children are secondary. There is no way children can compete for a stable nourishing life with two parents at Deloitte, and/or other big firms. Those are just the facts.

Cons

If you have young children it's very tough, but that is the case anywhere in management consulting. Not to mention if you are on a 100% travel client engagement.

Bonus' should be very high for consultants on 100% travel.

There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte