Deloitte

www.deloitte.com
  www.deloitte.com
There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte

Best of the Big 4

Current Employee - ERS Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
Current Employee - ERS Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Quite simply, I'm challenged every day to so something different. As a professional services firm, obviously client interaction is the primary job and it's fascinating to me to interact with myriad different kinds of people of companies. The firm does all kinds of client service work, so there's probably some kind of interesting work for anyone interested in the firm. Excuse me if I sound a little "rah rah Deloitte" but the firm takes good care of me and lets me do work I enjoy with people I respect and care about. "The people" is something Deloitte uses as a selling point in recruiting and I do beleive it's more than just hype. The people at Deloitte are bright, motivated, team players. I've worked on a multitude of different projects and made good friends internally at every one. I also have to give special mention to the internal feedback system. Professionals at every level are encouraged to use a formal scorecard system to get feedback from their colleagues about what they're doing and how they can do it better. The scorecards are an invaluable tool for improving job performance.

Cons

This kind of work isn't for everyone. It took me 6 months in the firm before i really found a kind of work I enjoy, and nearly half of the recruiting class I started with have moved on within 2 years. The hours can be long and the travel times can be high. You have to be willing to be a mobile worker. I don't have a desk of my own, and whenever I'm in the home office, I have to reserve space ahead of time.

Senior management does a good job of obfuscating the promotion and compensation adjustment processes. While the feedback process is outstanding, it's hard to tell how that translates back into promotions and raises.

6694 Other Employee Reviews for Deloitte (View Most Recent)

Best place to work until you have a family!

Current Employee - Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

- Variety: opportunity to work across any industry if you don't yet know exactly what you're interested in
    - Opportunity to work in 1 or 2 industries if you're passionate about any
    - Flexibility - busy time on projects, but usually some down-time ("beach time") between projects which can be like a mini-vacation
    - Variety of work if you're interested in many areas of business
    - GREAT people
    - Collaborative, friendly, embracing culture
    - Continuous performance review, and opportunity for self-improvement and development
    - Travel opportunities
    - Hotel points and airline miles (i.e. free international vacations)
    - Learning from your peers and senior managers about what to do and what not to do
    - Opportunity to do a wide variety of activities outside client-work
    - Endless learning possibilities
    - Leadership positions in a variety of work- and non-work related areas
    - Lots of vacation time
    - Ability to take on more and more responsibility
    - Closely work with very senior people who are experts in their areas, but give you opportunity to shine and contribute
    - International opportunities
    - Internal mobility across the hundreds of offices around the globe

Cons

- It's a big company with a lot of systems and processes, sometimes can feel bureaucratic
    - Can't get promoted much out of cycle
    - Below-average pay
    - Time-consuming and annoying weekly expense-reporting system
    - Hard to balance work and private life due to 100% travel with projects
    - Lots of long ERP systems implementation projects

- Continue what you're doing, and learn from each other across regions and offices - some offices have definitely a better, more well-defined and appreciated culture in the office, than other
    - Continue to seek feedback and listen to the employees. Always afraid that the culture will change if one partner/office MD/regional MD/service area lead/service line lead will leave, or rotate out of their position;

Great place to start a carreer

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Environment of continuous learning is stressed

Cons

Long hours - client service is the focus

be more open and frank about opportunities for advancement

There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!