Deloitte

www.deloitte.com
  www.deloitte.com
There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte

Good Tools, Good Learning, But Over Worked

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Princeton, NJ (US)
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Princeton, NJ (US)

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

A big Microsoft shop, so they use the most current Microsodt development tools and operating systems. Good support for personal development and professional training. Good benefits package. Above average in number of vacation days.

Cons

Deloitte claims to have work life balance standards and family life understanding in place, but falls woefully short in practice. Expect to be shunned and have little to no career advancement if you try to take advantage of any work life balance programs.
High burnout rate as senior management puts on pressure to work much more than the typical 40hr work week. Guess this is expected as most seinior managers have come out of the accounting practice where it is commonplace to work 50+hrs at times. Can expect to be asked to work on Saturdays at least a few times a year because project managers underestimate development time or they misrepresent project status to senior management..
The yearly review process is extreme and can take over two days to complete.
Can be tough to get answers from senior management about high level direction, as these kind of questions must always wait to be answered at the next partners meeting. I've seen cases where one requirement that needed an answer held up product development for six months.
No bonus plan. Yearly raises are given out on a curve and has a hard cap, even though HR and management say's otherwise.

Do not treat IT, and software development folks like accounting and accountants. These are two different types of projects and two different types or employees. Accounting projects have hard, fixed deadlines and standards set by the government while your software development projects should not. When you ask IT to work lots of extra hours, please reciprocate and you will reduce turnover and burnout. Remember that accountants have a not-busy season, and IT do not. Work-Life balance to IT is different than work-life balance to accountants.
A much more open and public method of providing raises and bonuses would go a long way.

6822 Other Employee Reviews for Deloitte (View Most Recent)

Assistant review

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

the people make it the best, great ways to be social

Cons

hard to move into new position unless you target the right people, lots of bum-kissing goes on here, auditors complain there is no work/life balance

if you say that work/life balance is important, then you should figure out why the employees do not feel it exists

Former Employee - Consultant in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

If you want to succeed in any Fortune 500 accounting shop, you need to get experience from the Big 4. My personal preference is Deloitte because, it's not only where I got my "break", but my management truly cared for my desire to learn.

There is the "up or out" culture that can be changed. Bottom line: great resume buiilder, great learning opportunities, not so good in opportunity for growth.

Cons

The "up or out" culture can go by the wayside.

The "up or out" culture can go by the wayside.

There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte