Deloitte

www.deloitte.com
  www.deloitte.com
There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte

Good Tools, Good Learning, But Over Worked

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Princeton, NJ (US)
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Princeton, NJ (US)

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

A big Microsoft shop, so they use the most current Microsodt development tools and operating systems. Good support for personal development and professional training. Good benefits package. Above average in number of vacation days.

Cons

Deloitte claims to have work life balance standards and family life understanding in place, but falls woefully short in practice. Expect to be shunned and have little to no career advancement if you try to take advantage of any work life balance programs.
High burnout rate as senior management puts on pressure to work much more than the typical 40hr work week. Guess this is expected as most seinior managers have come out of the accounting practice where it is commonplace to work 50+hrs at times. Can expect to be asked to work on Saturdays at least a few times a year because project managers underestimate development time or they misrepresent project status to senior management..
The yearly review process is extreme and can take over two days to complete.
Can be tough to get answers from senior management about high level direction, as these kind of questions must always wait to be answered at the next partners meeting. I've seen cases where one requirement that needed an answer held up product development for six months.
No bonus plan. Yearly raises are given out on a curve and has a hard cap, even though HR and management say's otherwise.

Do not treat IT, and software development folks like accounting and accountants. These are two different types of projects and two different types or employees. Accounting projects have hard, fixed deadlines and standards set by the government while your software development projects should not. When you ask IT to work lots of extra hours, please reciprocate and you will reduce turnover and burnout. Remember that accountants have a not-busy season, and IT do not. Work-Life balance to IT is different than work-life balance to accountants.
A much more open and public method of providing raises and bonuses would go a long way.

6938 Other Employee Reviews for Deloitte (View Most Recent)

Former BearingPoint practitioner just learning about Deloitte post acquisition...

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Deloitte has done an excellent job integrating the former BearingPoint Public Services resources. I have been impressed with the integration across member firms and the warmth of which we were all welcomed.

Deloitte's intranet integration and transparency are superior to that of BearingPoint's in my opinion however I believe BearingPoint's delivery methodology and technology integration tools are/were superior and I am looking forward to seeing them integrated into the Deloitte environment.

In terms of the firm overall its typical Big Four, I grew up at E&Y and KPMG and in my opinion Deloitte is closer to E&Y culturally than it is KPMG, LLP. As a matter of fact I would say that it is superior to KPMG and more personal than PwC. I am pleased to be with the part of BearingPoint that was acquired by Deloitte as opposed to the practices acquired by PwC based on discussions with my former BearingPoint peers.

Cons

I have not been here long enough to really comment...

I would say I suspect Deloitte can trim down the staff structure a bit. At BearingPoint we had become very lean out of necessity and I believe that the Big Four should try and streamline processes while things are good to stay ahead of the game.

Additionally, I would say that Deloitte has some very odd and less than employee friendly expense policies below the level of manager, but I don't know why they are like that.

Continue with the effective BearingPoint integration and quickly capitalize on the market opportunity we have and I think we will all be very happy and successful...

Love the deep end

Former Employee - Manager in Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Former Employee - Manager in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

A fantastic place to learn the tools of consulting. Great exposure to the a variety of clients and solutions.
    The people are great, with astrong collegial and collaborative atmosphere. The pace is fast but invigorating.

Cons

It is impossible to focus on gaiing emminence in a specific area, you can be pulled onto any engagement and placed in any role. Based not on your suitability, but your availability. Staffing for revenue does not build a solid knowledge base.
    The performance management process is flawed in favour of those who shout the loudest for thier staff. True innovations and achievements sometimes go unrecognised.

Try implementing some of your suggestions to clients on yourselves. re-look at management perks. build a true innovative culture by allowing specialisation. Put together a proper internal Human Capital focussed R&D team looking at local issues, dont rely on international thought leadership. stop fighting internally over revenue. Keep up with the recognition programme and continue to grow the culture of collaboration and meritocracy.

There are newer employer reviews for Deloitte