There are newer employer reviews for Echo Global Logistics

Executives do not respect IT

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Chicago, IL (US)
Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The IT dept at Echo is top notch. The entire team wants to make a great product. The IT managers are great. They can be a tad bit arrogant, but name me one IT manager who isn't one of the most arrogant people you've meet. There is a real chance for advancement in this dept, which is rare for IT. And it isn't based on favorites, but skill level. However...

Cons

The Executives do not give us any respect or time to do what's right. They're constantly pushing us to do things quick and easy.

The pay and benefit structure do not match the market. The health insurance plan for families is the worst I've ever seen offered to an IT dept. The co-pay is almost $800/month. Most employees with families do not use Echo's insurance cause the cost is too high. It's cheaper for them to purchase it online or use their spouse's plan.

The 401k matching is the bare minimum a company can offer and still legally be able to state they have matching 401k. It's all based on very long term vestments so you'll never see the matching $.

They claim your bonuses is a max of 5%, but in reality it's only maxes out at 2.5%, vs. the standard 10% offered by most IT places. The upper management does not see bonuses as a way to reward you for hard work, instead they see it as some chicken feed to throw at you so they can say they handed out bonuses.

The high turnover rate reflects the lack of benefits, and yet they still haven't figured it out.

Give your IT dept a real competitive bonus structure. Pay for most of their health insurance, which is pretty standard for IT dept. The current benefits structure makes me NOT want to work hard or work overtime. We had record profits the last 2 years mainly due to new products pushed out via overtime by IT. But yet the IT dept is constantly given the cold shoulder.

138 Other Employee Reviews for Echo Global Logistics (View Most Recent)

Work Hard, Play Hard

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Fun atmosphere, especially on Fridays

Cons

Stuck in an office on phones all day

Think twice

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Two weeks of all-expense paid classroom training in Chicago
    Young culture, 'Beer Fridays'
    Competitive salary for entry level position
    Good place to obtain industry knowledge and experience

Cons

Meetings upon meetings (group and one-on-one), day after day, management shadowing you on the phones, and your supervisor sits just feet away from you in an office environment with no walls and no privacy. Metrics are sent out about every two hours. New hires are expected to make 80-100 cold calls, send out two quotes to new clients, achieve 20% talk time on the phones, and add about 30 leads a day (which you aren't allowed to do during office hours). If you have a question or task for your supervisor, they most likely don't have time for you right now because they're stretched thin among 15-20 sales reps.

In December, Echo redesigned its commission structure and nearly all sales reps who were making commission saw a significant decrease in their paychecks - and Echo can change commission anytime it wants to, so we could see another pay cut in the near future. If you're a new hire, you won't make commission for at least a year after you hit the sales floor (unless you get obscenely lucky), and the incentives are few and far between ('free dinner' or 'fancy office chair' are the incentives offered for hitting goals, and they're tough to hit). Also, Echo's Accounts Receivable department exists only to establish and extend credit/buffer days, so you are responsible for obtaining payment from your clients - and commission is based off of what your customers have paid. If your client goes into collections and defaults, you are responsible for about 22% of what they owe...this will be deducted from your paycheck.

When it comes to actually selling, what you find is that you're selling an average product at an average or inflated price in an extremely saturated market. Most businesses you call are very happy with their 'current transportation solution' and have no reason to switch, plus they're annoyed at the amount of calls they get everyday from 3PLs just like you. It's tough to sell on service in an economy where so many businesses just care about price. Bottom line - there are definitely worse jobs out there. These are just things I wish I knew before I took the job.

Trust your employees and dangle carrots in front of them - their only motivation to achieve goals right now is to keep management off their back. Coercion is NOT the same as motivation, especially not in sales. Give employees some level of autonomy and privacy, along with challenging but attainable goals & incentives, and productivity will increase.

There are newer employer reviews for Echo Global Logistics