There are newer employer reviews for Elance

Love Elance!!

I have been working at Elance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Elance keeps getting better. I'm reading old reviews and it's only fair to say that things like "cubes from the 1990's" are no longer. We have a really cool and open layout. It's great to hear everyone talking about new ideas and approaches. The bar has always been high when it comes to hiring so my team has had some really smart additions and I'm excited to learn from them. It's a great place to work and learn and the people are awesome. The environment is really flexible too.

Cons

It's my own fault, but I should use the San Francisco office more often. Other than that, no complaints!

31 Other Employee Reviews for Elance (View Most Recent)

Changing the way the world works

Current Employee - Director  in  Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Elance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Elance has a noble mission - to connect businesses and entrepreneurs with freelance talent from anywhere in the world. This is a barrier reduction and facilitates global trade on a mass scale. This empowers people all around the world, yes including people in the U.S., to be a business of one. Ultimately, the platforms like Elance increase competition in the labor markets, which is good for society in the long run. Many companies say they are trying to change the world, but Elance really is changing the world. Like other people have said, the environment is very laid back, which can be a challenge to anyone who is ambitious and has a lot of ideas to improve the business.

Cons

Not many cons, other than the company has so much promise and doesn't move fast enough considering it's relatively small size. Tons of niche labor marketplaces are coming online now to challenge Elance and their main competitor as a result. There isn't much of a risk taking mentality at the company, which hinder it's chances from reaching an exit. Ideas are often looked upon as a challenge to senior management authority

Your platform inspires entrepreneurs around the world - you should build some of that inspiration and entrepreneurial spirit into the company culture/DNA - it will unleash the creativity of your employees.

Inspiring vision. Even better place to work

Current Employee - Manager  in  Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Elance full-time

Pros

There are a lot of them: Work from home every other week. The hiring of freelancers is encouraged. Everyone in the company is passionate about the vision. Senior management seems to care a great deal about everyone at the company.

Cons

Working in Mountain View is not as fun as working in San Francisco, particularly if you have to commute

Keep bringing in new talent and keep listening to their ideas.

There are newer employer reviews for Elance

Worked for Elance? Contribute to the Community!