Enterprise Rent-A-Car

www.go.enterprise.com
  www.go.enterprise.com
There are newer employer reviews for Enterprise Rent-A-Car

It's become far too "salesy"

Former Employee - Branch Manager
Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great resume builder
Great work environment for the first year in which you're doing nothing but selling and going out for happy hours with coworkers and accounts

Cons

After the first year of proven sales, you're expected to continue focussing on your personal sales with selfish vigor while now managing a branch of employees and trying to put them first (as a good manager should). The problem is, promotion is now so largely based on individual sales even as a manager - as opposed to management skills

I realize sales are necessary for growth, but solid management is essential to building good people which will ultimately cement your company

3183 Other Employee Reviews for Enterprise Rent-A-Car (View Most Recent)

I only wish I had left much sooner.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of hours. You'll never have to pipe up for overtime. Also, the company promotes a training environment. It's a good entry level job. I would say it's a quite useful position for the initial 6 months. Take advantage of the training. It's the closest thing to getting an MBA for free. Also, you get to drive relatively new cars--need I say more?

Cons

The hours! Get ready to watch your personal life go out the window. You will likely work a minimum of 50 hours each week. If you've been scrounging for work, you'll like the hours at first, but it will wear off quite quickly. Also you will be transferred VERY often so don't get too used to anyone or anything. Promotes an environment of favoritism-if you're a favorite, you will be trained so make sure to put your best foot forward upon meeting your coworkers. I would not expect a level playing ground. The job is also characteristically monotonous, but there are some efforts put into place to break things up. My suggestion, on that note, would be to promote quickly otherwise, you will suffer from boredom unlike any other form of ennui you have ever encountered before. Minorities BEWARE. If you're looking for equal footing, travel elsewhere. You WILL feel it here. Just an observation based on having been with the company for over two years in multiple locations across the state of California as well as feedback from fellow coworkers and peers. And then there's the compensation. You do a lot for very little. I once found that the pay in one area for Management Trainees exceeded that of a local dishwasher position at a hotel by a whopping 32 cents. For all that the position requires, it is hardly a fair amount.

Training! Do what you promised when you first offered the position. It's the easiest way to grow your business and retain your employees. Don't let the day-to-day stuff get in the way of fostering your employees' futures. EVERY day is busy at Enterprise, so make room to handle all parts of your job. Just because your employees are the easiest to set aside, doesn't mean you should. If your people aren't trained, then you're not doing your job. In the simplest of terms, happy employees = more$. Also, the company is based on good set of values-I think it would beneficial to follow them.

Long unrewarded hours, massively sales focused, stressful.

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good team, some people really do care about the customers. Good all round business experience.

Cons

60 hours a week, pay is too low for the work you do. Training is hit and miss and they are cut throat in terms of promotions. Sales, sales, sales or you get nowhere. Under a lot of pressure from senior management, when things are not always in your control.

The pay is way too low for the amount of work put in. And there is no work/life balance.

There are newer employer reviews for Enterprise Rent-A-Car