There are newer employer reviews for Expedia

Lots of Re-Organizations and Turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Vacation benefits, medical, relaxed environment. The employees are friendly and have varied backgrounds.

Cons

From my experience it can be difficult to work for Expedia and not feel like a guest rather than an employee. Turnover seems to be massive at this company and a lot of people seem to leave at about the two-year mark. There are frequent senior leadership changes which causes attrition in the ranks. New leaders often end up re-organizing entire groups which forces some people out of
work. You can be very happy and well-suited to the job you were hired for and then suddenly come to work one day to find that you are on a new team with a different manager. This new team may have different expectations and work which you are not as suited for. I'd already been through a few re-orgs and then one day I came to work to find HR giving a few of us our walking papers due to yet another impending re-organization. They didn't give us the option of looking for other jobs internally, they simply took our badges and walked us out of the building which was very cold, in my opinion.

I've worked for many large companies and can honestly say that there are more re-organizations
and employee turnover at Expedia than i've ever seen. I understand that re-orgs are a part of corporate life, but this was ridiculous. Be aware of this for anyone re-locating from a long distance to join this company.

Advice to Management

Compensate employees fairly so they do not turnover so often. Also, limit re-organizations which causes attrition. Some managers need to learn to keep work-life balance in check and also treat subordinates with respect and limit yelling or condescending behavior.

reviews filtered by

Stimulating, but extremely political

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rome (Italy)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rome (Italy)

I have been working at Expedia full-time

Pros

- Very good compensation and benefits
    - Passionate colleagues for the most part

Cons

- frequent senior leadership changes, not enough diversity in senior leadership which seems to be a bit of an old boys network. All with finance background and almost all men.
    - volatile strategy, changes every 3 months
    - extremely political, thinks it's result driven but politicization of everything kills true high performance
    - very high turnover of middle management and senior management, let alone the lower ranks
    - senior leadership thinks it's an innovative, tech-driven company. It's not. It is run like a bank.

Advice to Management

Question your own leadership capabilities

2. High Attrition Rate During First year

I worked at Expedia full-time

Pros

Creative and amazing people can be found throughout the organization
    A fun atmosphere
    A revamped performance system that allows the stars to really shine

Cons

Consistently high level of attrition during first year makes for constant churn and inability to get traction to resolve issues, drive change, or get anyone to take accountability.
    Tribal knowledge equals power so be ready for a lot of corporate politics and reorganizations that have no rhyme or reason.

Advice to Management

Stop the political reorganizations
    Take accountability to fix not band-aid the issues and for goodness sake promote that sometimes its good to have policies and processes.

There are newer employer reviews for Expedia