Lots of Re-Organizations and Turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Vacation benefits, medical, relaxed environment. The employees are friendly and have varied backgrounds.

Cons

From my experience it can be difficult to work for Expedia and not feel like a guest rather than an employee. Turnover seems to be massive at this company and a lot of people seem to leave at about the two-year mark. There are frequent senior leadership changes which causes attrition in the ranks. New leaders often end up re-organizing entire groups which forces some people out of
work. You can be very happy and well-suited to the job you were hired for and then suddenly come to work one day to find that you are on a new team with a different manager. This new team may have different expectations and work which you are not as suited for. I'd already been through a few re-orgs and then one day I came to work to find HR giving a few of us our walking papers due to yet another impending re-organization. They didn't give us the option of looking for other jobs internally, they simply took our badges and walked us out of the building which was very cold, in my opinion.

I've worked for many large companies and can honestly say that there are more re-organizations
and employee turnover at Expedia than i've ever seen. I understand that re-orgs are a part of corporate life, but this was ridiculous. Be aware of this for anyone re-locating from a long distance to join this company.

Compensate employees fairly so they do not turnover so often. Also, limit re-organizations which causes attrition. Some managers need to learn to keep work-life balance in check and also treat subordinates with respect and limit yelling or condescending behavior.

Other Reviews for Expedia

Expedia is an awesome company to work!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Live and Work balance is outstanding. Great compensation and lots of opportunities for growth.

Cons

Employees don't get awarded any stocks.

Start giving out stocks!

Good, could be great if it sorted fragmented management

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a very friendly company with good compensation and benefits. It has a sensible work/life balance approach and allows employees to work flexibly. The company is successful and has money in the bank so the offices are modern, light, pleasant and you get free drinks etc. There are a lot of smart people and the European marketing team is well managed and led.

Cons

The company goes through US centric/local centric swings but at its heart it is US centric. Several of the senior US management team are basically venture capitalists/consultants there to look after the financial interests of the majority shareholder and therefore there is a lot of short termism. The US management team are not great leaders- the European management team is on the whole ok. The main frustration with Expedia is that it seems to constantly seek to fragment its teams further, basically so that it can measure them all as "channels" on a spreadsheet and apply a rudimentary short term approach to figure out which is making the most money. This leads to duplication of effort and a lot of decisions that should get taken don't as there is a lack of ownership. If Expedia could be more joined up it would be dangerous. But that likely won't happen under the current ownership in my view. There is a very flat structure, so unless you feel happy selling your soul to be part of the small inner circle that runs the business, it will probably be a two or three year gig. If you have no qualms about that- and there are plenty who have done well by doing so- you'll enjoy it.

Keep hiring good people, but let them do good work in a joined up way. Look beyond your MBAed ex-cosultant central clique at the diverse talent in your company and reward the good people, not just the toadies.

There are newer employer reviews for Expedia.

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!