There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil

I like my job.

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer  in  Houston, TX (US)
Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

Exxon is a great company to work for in terms of available experiances. They have operations worldwide and in most cases, you get to go to the location you work on. I also feel like my work is meaningful. I get to directly track how it affects the bottom line.

Cons

The downside of exxon is their annual employee assesment process. They rank all of their employees and assign you to a bucket (middle, low or upper). While this is a benfit in my mind because it give direct feedback on your performance, the process acts like more of black box because you are unaware of who the individuals are that are number 1 and what they do differtent to get there. I feel like a lot of politics play in to it at some point.

Keep on keeping on. They generally do a pretty good job and are approachable in my opinion.

450 Other Employee Reviews for ExxonMobil (View Most Recent)

Large bureaucracy, no room for any creativity

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at ExxonMobil

Pros

The compensation is decent. That's about it.

Cons

Does not inspire any creativity, huge bureaucracy, no fairness to the ranking system. "Performance Review" will be based on how much you kiss up to your boss.

Change outdated HR policies.

Great place to work; has its downsides, but everywhere does

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

Great compensation and benefits package; great place for long-term career, especially because their retirement benefits are out of this world; its such a big corporation that you could start your career doing one thing and end up doing something totally different; you move jobs every couple of years, so if you end up in a position you don't realy like, you know that it will only be for a few years at most;

Cons

Not all managers are sold on the corporate policies that they use to recruit, i.e., work-life balance, service opportunities, safety, but some really are - its kind of the luck of the draw. Upside is you can move around a lot.

Obtain feedback about supervisors from their subordinate and have that play a part in their overall performance reviews.

There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil

Worked for ExxonMobil? Contribute to the Community!