There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil

the travel is exciting and the money is great

Current Employee - Supervisor
Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

The travel is adventurous. The time-off is great. The money is good and will get better as I become more experienced.

Cons

Have to remember about 20 different passwords for various systems. When we do have to go into the office everybody is very busy and can only offer you a very limited amount of time.

Keep doing what you are doing. You run an organization that rewards performance with cold hard cash and that's what we like.

456 Other Employee Reviews for ExxonMobil (View Most Recent)

Seductive with employees, but may be frustrating for some

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Curitiba (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Curitiba (Brazil)

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

Plenty of career oppotunities within different areas of expertise, you can always get there (if you know the right people and they like you).
    Financial solidness (zero lay-offs during the 08/09 crisis, even with oil dropping from $120 to $40 a barrel)
    Compensation little above average (what is more than expected from the biggest company in the world)
    Status
    Travel opportunities
    Good for ambitious people, with political and leadership skills

Cons

Old, paternalistic culture
    Outdated technologies (be prepared call MS Access and Excel as "systems")
    Bureaucracy
    "We have all the money and infrastructure you need, it's all beautiful, so if you fail, it's exclusively your fault.". This can frequently bring your self-esteem down.
    Company talks about work/life balance, but its in theory only. When you need, figures change.
    Due to its size and distribution, every simple move requires a gigantic step, this is a innovation, creativity and flexibility killer.
    Forced ranking, which at sometimes lacks transparency/fairness
    Politics often values more than hard-work

Value more people that work hard, recognize them
    SD process is beautifully pictured on the slides, but when it comes to reality, friendship with leaders is being a major factor for promotion. This is creating an environment with high levels of stress, frustration and lack of camaradarie, mining the productivity.

Great Compensation and Opportunities

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

The compensation is great. My salary has grew 33% in 18 months with the company and continues to be trending upward, even in the current economic downturn. The work is challenging and the opportunities are amazing. I mentioned I like to travel and they have sent me all over the world. I have been to 5 different countries since I have started and seem to find more and more reasons to travel. Working on world class projects that you can read about in the papers gives me a sense of accomplishment. The people I work with are very intelligent which makes the my day and work week more enjoyable.

Cons

The politics can be overwhelming but if you can play the game it can help your career.

Continue to remember John D. Rockefellers principles of running a business.

There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil

Worked for ExxonMobil? Contribute to the Community!