Very easy going yet challenging work environment.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

The hours are very flexible and accomadating. It is a challenging work environment dependent on the area the store is loacted, but overall a place that you wil enjoy going to daily. No place of business is perfect and it is what you make it.

Cons

In management you have to take so many test to remain in good standing with corporate. The in-store internet service is super ancient which makes it very difficult to get in-house paperwork done. Further, in areas that arrant more security or more employees, there needs to be an assessment of the budget to do so. Being a woman and alone int he store at times, it can be dangerous dependent on the area.

To work on better structured lunch hours and the overal operation of the store in terms of cleanliness and delegated duties.

Other Reviews for Family Dollar Stores

It was good

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

team work
    benefits
    good people
    good products
    affordable products

Cons

There is a lot to organize and it is a busy environment when many customers come.

It's okay mostly because the people I work with are cool.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Parkersburg, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Parkersburg, WV (US)

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Simple work, not a lot of stress, pays weekly. GM works around my college schedule. Asst Manager isn't salary.

Cons

The pay sucks majorly. No discounts to speak of, I mean really, every retail job I've had gave you at least 10-20%. When you have truck day (one day every week) your day is wasted because you are basically on call to show up at a different time each week for about 5 hours and it is fairly fast paced moderately hard work. You have to break down every box manually when stocking shelves, time consuming and NO BOX COMPACTOR SUCKS.

Cashier pay is minimum wage which is to be expected, but Assistant Manager starts at $8/hr which is really not expected, it is a huge disappointment, that is 70 cents above minimum wage here, does not line up with the responsibilities. The Asst before me quit after one day. I'm sticking to it for a little while to see if this so-called manager meeting gets Asst any raises.

There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores.

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!