There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments

Exceptional organization that is client-centric and values its people

Current Employee - Vice President
Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a private company Fidelity is able to focus on the long-term best interests of its clients and people rather than on quarterly results. Excellent benefits, strong management, exceptional market position, and very talented people.

Cons

sometimes it is difficult to navigate across business units

There are many extrodinarily talented people at this company who may not be getting the attention of senior management.

1822 Other Employee Reviews for Fidelity Investments (View Most Recent)

Worst Professional Experience Of An Otherwise Productive Career

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Covington, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Covington, KY (US)

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Pay was good compared to the S. Ohio / N. Kentucky area as a whole. Benefits were good as well.

Cons

As has been stated in various reviews on this site, if you are too intelligent, attractive, or bring sound business experience with you to the role, expect to be shunned eventually if not immediately. In the S. Ohio/N. Kentucky region there are not many opportunities, even for college graduates so its easy to scare the majority into conforming into whatever management requires at the time. Where else can they go? This was true even before the world blew up.

They will hire minorities but they expect them to be docile, weak and just smart enough to do what is asked of them. No matter how smart you are, if you are a black male you have little chance of making any real progress. Of course there are the "tokens" to make things look good on the surface. Once a manager even sent out an email to his team that had a Martin Luther King speech in it that said the Negro was still not free. Imagine that in this day and age. This kind of behavior is condoned in Covington Kentucky.

Diversity training should be mandatory. These people need a lot of help in this area. Never seen a group of people in such a large company with such strong racial biases. How does a national company like Fidelity allow this

Elephants cannot survive off peanuts; and yes, they count them often.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Mobility and other opportunities abound if you are patient. Good name within the industry and loyal client base. Great inexpensive investment lineup.

Cons

Corporate politics abound here. To move up carry toilet paper around often to wipe your nose. They only want to hear the truth if its what they want to hear. You can be #1 in sales but if you dont further their agenda you will stall your career. Micro management is well over the top. Worst I have ever encountered. The compensation is extremely weak (My gross income here is what I used to pay in taxes at my other jobs and I am in the top 20 people out of 300 in the nation for 2 years running) Great place to get hired if you are desperate or looking for a stepping stone but will never be long term. They are short term focused but always talk about the long term. Do not let this fool you! Middle management and some mkt mgrs truly have no clue how to manage. They are failed sales people with brown crust on their noses that micro manage and have little to zero outside experience ( this is their only real job since college). The work and dealing with clients is ok as the Fido client is a cheapskate and know-it-all. It takes time to build trust, realtionships and for the client to self discover they need your/Fido help. Management wants you to slam them into products today. A "what have you done for me today" mentality. If your response is "built a deeper relationship
    based on trust and confidence" the branch mgr will look at you like a cyborg and keep repeating "that does not calculate" until his brain starts to smoke. Corp vision is a lie. They say they want to retain top talent and build long term relationships. Look at their actions. It is a lie. 5 top Senior Accountt execs left in the last 12 months. Everyone of them were threatened on the way out by their mgr rather than spoken to for retention measures. If this were a public company I would buy a put 3 years in the future so i could put it to someone I hated and make a killing from their lose. It is a truly broken system and the mend is at minmum 5 years away. Possibly a decade. Lastly, once you do sell something you have to track it and a third of the time sent up exception as they are not crediting it to you but atbthe same time will be delivering you an oral warning of termination for low production which they will not rescind once its credited and also become part of your HR file. It is purely about power, fear and control at this place. It is only for the weak and timid not top talent.

You have great talent working for you now. Pay them. Treat them like the pros they are and pay them to retain them. Your attitude toward your S/AE's is reflected by your TOA ratio- yes your clients are leaving in droves because they smell it. If you cared about the client you would not make them endure a dozen S/AE changes over a decade. They are sick of seeing quality talent leave so they go to Vanguard etc. You can dictate to your senior account execs to make 25 dials a day. That does not create a place we want to work and your elementary approach to mgmt focusing on activity drives great talent away. You hired us because of our proven success then we get here and you want us to change what and how we are that made us top salespeople. Because you have the wrong mgmt in places ( braches and market mgr- especially the southeast) does not mean your bean counting micro mgmt will work. Good luck. You will need it. I am one of many in the top that are leaving. Call me when you mature enough to recognize talent and will remunerate me for my skills. Elephants like me will eat the peanut trail but once we realize the trail is a neverending circle with no real food at the end, we leave. Another top 2% SAE leaving. When are you gonna self discover? Maybe management should be trained on CSS.............

There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments

Worked for Fidelity Investments? Contribute to the Community!