First Banks

www.firstbanks.com
  www.firstbanks.com
There are newer employer reviews for First Banks

A very friendly, supportive family-owned bank

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)

I have been working at First Banks

Pros

Senior Management consistently communicates with all employees, sharing the bank's challenges, accomplishments, etc. The various department managers are very approachable, and share the same work ethic- do whats best for the customers and First Bank

Cons

The salaries aren't as high as other banks; the various systems and software is fairly old, compared to peer banks

Continue to communicate to the staff on how the bank is performing, please do some advertising in Florida- the First Bank name is not well known.

11 Other Employee Reviews for First Banks (View Most Recent)

Risky to work there right now

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at First Banks

Pros

Many of the employees are truly wonderful, caring people dedicated to doing their best each dayto help the customers and their coworkers.

The locations I've visited are comfortable, and easy to work in, but some of the branches inside the grocery stores are quite small.

The training offered is pretty extensive and well done. You can tell the trainers really want to help you do a good job and learn what you need to know.

Senior managment is pretty good about communicating information, especially in such an "up and down" time with so much instability.

Benefit package was okay.

Like many other companies, it all depends on your manager and his or her boss - many are willing to fight for their employees to get them what they want.

Cons

With the economic recession hitting hard, the company has lost a LOT of money - millions and millions of dollars over the last several quarters. Which means they aren't investing in anyone 401k, no real raises to speak of and no money for tutition reimbursement, outside training classes, etc.

They are in huge cost cutting mode (mid 2010) - while I'd worked there for several years and always had positive annual reviews, I was laid off, in part because my salary was on the high end in my department and they saved more by letting me go than someone with less experience.

The salaries are quite low, but comparable to other banks - just keep in mind that banks don't make a lot of money by paying employees a lot of money (and a good raise at First Bank generally means 2% - in those years they are willing to give them.)

From what I saw, there isn't a lot of accountability at the company (many managers do what they should because that's who they are), and a lot of managers there don't care, don't follow the rules (or worse - some commonly break the rules), don't get results and aren't held accountable for it.

Create a culture with more accountability - when someone, some department or some group is supposed to do something, make sure they have and don't let one group get away with not doing it when another group went out of their way to do their best and make it happen. That kind of unfairness creates division and separation and will tear the company apart.

Great place to work but don't expect rapid advancement

I have been working at First Banks

Pros

Family owned means that typically people genuinely care about one another and the turnover is nothing compared to the larger banks.

Cons

Because there is no turnover, advancing through the company is difficult. However, what it lacks in advancement it makes up for in job security!

A more precise focus would allow everyone to buy into one message. Too often, sales campaigns and company priorities are seemingly tossed together hastily.

There are newer employer reviews for First Banks