There are newer employer reviews for Gallup

Has changed a lot

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Gallup full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Self-determination, incredible flexibility about when and where you do your work. Young people just out of grad school are given a lot of responsibility.

Cons

Underpaid for equivalent experience; what have you done for me lately; only expectation is the here-and-now. Sales people count the most and they have very short half lives.

Bring in some consultants to help determine a future for the company. Some strategy would help.

261 Other Employee Reviews for Gallup (View Most Recent)

Don't, Just don't...

Former Employee - Advanced Design and Analytics in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Advanced Design and Analytics in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Gallup full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gallup has some of the best and smartest people you will ever meet..
    Great work parties

Cons

Gallup is a dire place to work.. Dire. They routinely promise new employees the moon and then deliver 2,400 hours a year of creating power point decks. Want to do the job they promised you? Just wait a few months... and then a few more...and then what was it they promised you again? And how can they give you better assignments when you have such a bad attitude as to ask for better assignments? Before I resigned I would have told you I knew maybe 10 people who were really happy at Gallup. When I announced my resignation five of those people told me they were also looking for a job. People are exhausted, terribly unhappy, and afraid they will be fired if they speak openly, or take time off for oh, like Christmas. I have never started a job with such enthusiasm and ended with such disappointment.

Read your own books and follow your own advice. Listen to your employees instead of terrorizing them.

Poor Leadership

I worked at Gallup full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can carve out your own space within this company. It can be a tricky path but if you contribute to some successful projects you can build your internal brand and thus your own business within the company. A lot will depend on the relationships you build with colleagues in control of budgets. Most people are paid a base salary along with bonus system similar to billing hours/commission.

Cons

Since virtually everyone is paid on a commission system, you are extremely reliant on the sales team who are the managing partners of the company. The integrity of some of the MP's can be questionable and they build their own fiefdoms within the organization.
    If you need any structure this is not the right fit. For example there is no time off policy...take as little or as much as you need. It sounds interesting at first but in practice is very difficult because you are always looking for work internally.

This biggest worry of all it that senior leadership is not very strong, a clear example of the dangers of nepotism at a private company.

There are newer employer reviews for Gallup