GameStop

www.gamestop.com
  www.gamestop.com
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Great Customers, Horrible Leadership

Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC (US)
Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best customers in the world, annual trip to Vegas (for store managers and above) with private mini-E3 showcase. Free games for store Managers. Free game "borrowing" for all employees.

Cons

NO HOURS!!!!!!! Store Managers working 60+ hours because we don't have coverage otherwise. No overlap for lunch or bathroom breaks, and 12-15 hour shifts. Lip services is paid to "putting customer first" or "get out on the sales floor" but then when it comes time to implement Sr. Mgt hands down a huge weekly to-do list and no hours to have more than one person in the store at a time. Many SMs in my district come in on their day off every week just to do the weekly scans.
After you hit SM your stuck, very little room for growth. Also, some markets are very very over saturated. We have 5 stores within a 2 mile circle. With another 4 within 6 miles. There is two sets of stores that are literally looking at each other. Two in a mall and two in a shopping center across the street from mall. In the mall if you stand at the entrance you are looking at your "sister" store, which of course you compete with. Same story in the shopping center. No team feeling within district because we are constantly fighting each other for the same customers.
Low salary for whats expected. Made more as an ASM for a different company and only had to work 40 hours a week.

Either get read of the ridiculous amount of busy work every week or give us hours to have people on the floor. The only reason gamestop can compete with the big box stores is customer service, but that has been pushed to the side over the last couple years in exchange for "operational procedures"
Spread your stores out!!!!!!!!! Buying up competitors was fine, but we need to move the stores from being on top of each other.

1434 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

An "ok" company

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Tolland, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Tolland, CT (US)

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

easy hire and game discount.

Cons

low pay, low hours, poor management

Offer more hours or don't hire as many people

Its Okay

Current Employee - Military Senior Game Advisor in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Military Senior Game Advisor in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent employee discount, sometimes get some cool freebies and promotional items, contest opportunities, usually fun people to work with

Cons

Kind of a bad schedule... lots of nights and weekends, stressful environment with pushy management for sales numbers with little incentive, lack of hours and sometimes loss of hours, sometimes there are bad customers and gross trade-ins

Use a more innovative way to motivate and enrich employees

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop