GameStop

www.gamestop.com
  www.gamestop.com
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Great Customers, Horrible Leadership

Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC (US)
Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best customers in the world, annual trip to Vegas (for store managers and above) with private mini-E3 showcase. Free games for store Managers. Free game "borrowing" for all employees.

Cons

NO HOURS!!!!!!! Store Managers working 60+ hours because we don't have coverage otherwise. No overlap for lunch or bathroom breaks, and 12-15 hour shifts. Lip services is paid to "putting customer first" or "get out on the sales floor" but then when it comes time to implement Sr. Mgt hands down a huge weekly to-do list and no hours to have more than one person in the store at a time. Many SMs in my district come in on their day off every week just to do the weekly scans.
After you hit SM your stuck, very little room for growth. Also, some markets are very very over saturated. We have 5 stores within a 2 mile circle. With another 4 within 6 miles. There is two sets of stores that are literally looking at each other. Two in a mall and two in a shopping center across the street from mall. In the mall if you stand at the entrance you are looking at your "sister" store, which of course you compete with. Same story in the shopping center. No team feeling within district because we are constantly fighting each other for the same customers.
Low salary for whats expected. Made more as an ASM for a different company and only had to work 40 hours a week.

Either get read of the ridiculous amount of busy work every week or give us hours to have people on the floor. The only reason gamestop can compete with the big box stores is customer service, but that has been pushed to the side over the last couple years in exchange for "operational procedures"
Spread your stores out!!!!!!!!! Buying up competitors was fine, but we need to move the stores from being on top of each other.

1416 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

Power to the Shareholders

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Employees/Coworkers - some of the best I've had at any job
    -You get some really great regular customers
    -Borrowing games was probably my favorite perk as a GA
    -Free games for SM's and sometimes ASM's get swag as well (I should point out these all come from vendors), sometimes even free systems - Kinect sensor a couple years ago, and a Vita most recently. Sony is definitely the best as far as gifts to SM's.
    -Free trip to conference each fall, either in Las Vegas or San Antonio
    -I had the opportunity to go to E3 from a ticket through GameStop; I had to pay airfare/hotel, but still it was fulfilling a dream I had since being a kid.
    -Pay for SM's isn't horrible, especially if you lack a college degree or much experience.
    -It's ridiculously easy to move up in the company to the SM position, as long as you have any amount of work ethic, professionalism, and sales ability.

Cons

-Hours. You'll hear this probably from any retail manager, but at GameStop it doesn't matter if it's the dead of summer or an incredibly busy launch or holiday week (nearly every store in my district was notified to cut anywhere from 5-13 hours of payroll from the Call of Duty launch week), expect to get hours cut from your already dismal budget, and you as a salaried SM will be expected to pick up the slack. Typically stores weren't notified of their hour cuts until Thursday afternoons, in an e-mail that reminded you to "cut from your slowest days, not your weekends" - it's impossible when you get notified that late in the week, to not cut from Friday/Saturday. Your part-time GA's will hate the fact that even if they're performing well, they may only get one or two 3 hour shifts a week. If you want to go to the bathroom between 10am and 2pm, expect to lock up your front door with a "back in 5 minutes" sign and hope no customers are left standing outside fuming when you get back. If you have a busy store and can't find a time when you're left alone, learn to work without a morning cup of coffee. For training, there are no extra hours given with the exception of during the holidays (where it's typically a ridiculous 2 hours/person, not even enough for a full shift). If you want to train your employees well, especially keyholders, expect a few 60+ hour work weeks until you and they feel comfortable being left alone in the store.

-Tasking. Marketing used to be just a few end caps and posters, but in the past couple of years has grown to be huge sections of DLC and best sellers/top games sections, and now rolling "value" towers, making a huge portion of the store just "display only" copies. Creates a huge headache for both customers and associates alike. You're constantly changing out the display cases, sometimes up to three times a week trying to keep up with corporate or your DM's directive, and then you have to explain to customers why you don't have the particular game that they picked out of the Best Seller section and point to the small "for display only" in the corner. It's not fun when a customer starts getting irate over marketing when we don't have the item, telling us that it's false-advertisement or we're trying to bait-and-switch them. Corporate's answer to this is to swap the sold-out cover art with something in stock, but they sure don't support us with the extra hours necessary to keep up on this - they also don't consider the extra time it takes to make sure everything for a sale is set up when there are 3x the amount of places to put sales stickers on an item compared to 2 years ago. On top of marketing, expect a to-do list from your DM every time he makes a visit, sometimes a couple times a week. He may even add in a snarky "good luck doing this while cutting 5 hours by the end of this week" if he's in a really sour mood, as my ASM once told me.

-Lack of creativity/input. As a manager I know the way to gain respect from your employees is to make them feel valued. Asking your associates their opinions and actually putting their ideas into action and giving them credit when due. A lot of other SM's seemed to understand this as well, but that's where it stopped. SM's have absolutely no creative input in their store, everything is directed down from corporate or your Regional or District manager. It got to the point where SM's couldn't even set their own schedules, working a minimum of 45 hours a week (but being told by your DM that you were slacking if you cut went home at 45) with two set "authorized" shifts - either 8:30am-6pm, or 12pm-9:30pm. While we were allowed to hire our own part-time associates, there were times when full-time ASM's were brought in without the current SM even seeing the candidate's resume or meeting them - a complete lack of respect for the SM in my opinion..

-Very little upward mobility. Aside from making your way up within the store to a Store Manager position, it's near impossible to move beyond that. Whether it's to a District Manager or exploring your career options at corporate, not even HR seems interested in retaining employees beyond SM level. And who wants to be a SM of a video game store when they're in their 40s-50s?

GameStop isn't the worst place to work by any means, but it's taken a severe nosedive in the past couple of years. Forcing salaried SM's to pick up the cut hours leads to employee dissatisfaction, which in turn leads to burnout. Customers are soon seen as a nuisance, an interruption to our tasking duties, rather than the reason we came to GameStop in the first place. There has been a huge turnover of SM's recently, and without proper support to stores, other employees haven't been trained properly and aren't ready to be promoted. It leads to external hires which doesn't do anything for morale, and eventually new people are training new people.

Don't think customers won't notice the new hires - I've seen quite a few regular customers move from store to store as managers were shifted around. People go to GameStop for the knowledgeable staff, and that well of people who are personable, good salesmen, and passionate about the products will soon run dry if GameStop doesn't adjust its current methods.

I had a good time

I worked at GameStop

Pros

Good hours, nice coworkers, good pay

Cons

None I can think of

Keep up the good work