General Motors
www.careers.gm.com Detroit, MI 5000+ Employees

GM - the story of the perfect love hate relationship

I have been working at General Motors

ProsGM can be a great place to work with unique opportunities, creative design problems, wonderful people, and a good balance of work to life. Most mid level management are good people to work for in your functional area. Salary is typically good to better than most, and the benefits are top notch as they have always been.

ConsThe bureaucracy in product development rivals the government. The rigidness to standards and procedures can be overwhelming. The manufacturing side of engineering whines more than a motor with a bad bearing. Most manufacturing/assembly personnel are very unwilling to try anything new or push the envelope. Most of upper level management is out of touch with what is really going on in the new programs. There is little to no opportunity for advancement unless you find it yourself - and even the HR and management will tell you that as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote those who deserve it, not those who kiss ass and ask for it.

Bit over worked at the end before retiring

Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee)
St. Catharines, ON (Canada)

I have been working at General Motors full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: lots of money and overtime..................... Cons: too many useless people not contributing Advice to Senior Management: try to do what you want the 6 level supervisors… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great company and great salary and support

Engineer (Former Employee)
Texas, GA (US)

I worked at General Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good benefits and support for employees Cons: Management is distant and needs to be more involved Advice to Senior Management: Get more involved in things. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on General Motors.

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Motors CEO Mary Barra. All reviews posted anonymously by General Motors employees.