There are newer employer reviews for Google

Loved it.

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY (US)
Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment, really smart people, really interesting projects, good company goals/objectives.

Cons

Of course, since Google has grown so much, it's harder to get things done/it takes a really long to push code or get things out there.

2597 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Great at the beginning, nightmare towards the end

I worked at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great working environment, sometimes challenging atmosphere and smart colleagues.

Cons

Environment was great when I joined in early 2007, although everything changed with time. Management stop listening. Coworkers started backstabbing.
    I felt like I was producing fried air.

You should listen and get some knowledge of what you are actually working on.

Redefinition of Bullying

Current Employee - Geo Operations in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Geo Operations in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Google as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Beanbags for a power-nap
    Big Windows
    Comfy Chairs

Cons

Everyone talks about Google's grandeur and everyone wants to be a part of the Team.

It is indeed a great thing and I am glad to have and use Google everyday.

Now that I had the chance to take a look behind the scenes for a whole year through an agency in a remote office of the European HQ, I was shocked by the way and manner they treat their employees and the contractors.

I am well aware of the fact that I was "only a contractor" (as one for the managers used to tell us) but I was working in a Google building, on a Google "super confidential" project as they told me the first day, I had my badge and had to sign a policy instruction and training like everyone else. I also shared my job and worked hand in hand with "real Googlers" but the discomfort they put you in is immense.

Why that?

It's the manner and way how the management sees the workers - Two classes just like the Titanic:

First Class - Googlers
    Second Class - Contractor
    (Interns and Temps are nearly invisible)

They make you terribly feel the difference and hierarchy and the unfairness towards you, as a contractor. You don't even ask for the same benefits, but they keep reminding you. It hurts you, your ego, your pride and puts all the effort you made in your life to be successful in your career equal to ZERO. They quench the fire of your ambitions and they destroy little by little your confidence and you start seeing the real Googlers as idols and role models while you do exactly the same job as them. You feel Inferior.

Best example: Xmas party 2011

All the "real Googlers" where invited to an exclusive big and huge Google Christmas Party with well known DJ's and Photographers, Red Carpet, etc...while the Contractors, Temps and Interns were excluded from the party, but got a voucher for 2 drinks each in the pub next door.

When you take the decision to join Google, you are all happy and motivated during the first month, you are all grateful and excited to be a part of this magical world and slowly they make you see the terrible truth, that you are only a second class worker, a slave in a palace, a bird in a golden cage, a WWII Jew in a concentration camp.

I don't want to offend anyone or be politically incorrect by comparing myself but it's just how it felt like.

I am glad and happy I left the job. I have no regrets at all, only bad memories of a very bad and primitive, "bad-step-mother" Treatment.

Bullying is definitely getting a new Dimension!

There are newer employer reviews for Google