Google

www.google.com

A great summer software engineering internship at Google

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Mountain View, CA (US)
Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA (US)

Pros

The atmosphere in Google's offices can best be described as "college-like." It's about as far from the Dilbert-esque corporate boredom as you could possibly get. The food was great, and while I stayed in the office for long hours every day, my work schedule didn't feel oppressive to me, simply because it was such a nice work environment. The meals, microkitchens, and enjoyment of just taking a break and walking around the building and finding random pool tables, porch swings, and napping pods made staying in the office an enjoyable experience--not to mention the challenging and interesting project that I was working on.

Cons

My biggest complaint with Google is linked to the college-like atmosphere--there is not enough space in the Mountain View office in which I worked. Our room had 16 people in it when there should have been no more than nine. To someone like me who is easily distracted by extraneous noise and conversation, I found it challenging to filter out the distractions of overhearing so many other conversations. I found it necessary to wear ear buds with good noise insulation, and to pipe white noise through my earphones, in order to concentrate well enough to be productive.

Other reviews for Google

Great environment, innovative products

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milan (Italy)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milan (Italy)

Pros

You get to work with cool innovative products, in a great environment (especially in terms of positive, friendly and skilled colleagues). The brand is well known.
    You have a lot of freedom in customer interaction and in planning your projects.

Cons

There are not many opportunities for technical roles in this office, but this depends on specific offices.
    The base salary is not exciting, compared to other offers you can get from competitors.

Google is a great place to work

Pros

Work ambiance
    Opportunities
    Smart people
    Great product
    Great perks

Cons

Promotion process quite unfair
    Bureaucracy
    Politics
    Lack of design spirit

There are newer employer reviews for Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!