There are newer employer reviews for Hanover Research

Challenging but Rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Hanover Research

Pros

Rapid promotion and comp growth
Development of multiple skill sets
Lack of micromanagement
Great group of people to work with/many are friends outside of work

Cons

Jack of all trades, master of none
Growth can lead to chaos
Lack of bureaucracy also means lack of structure/plenty of ambiguity

Communicate, communicate, communicate
Allow researchers to specialize by industry, or research type, or both
Free up Content Directors for mentoring/prof development

41 Other Employee Reviews for Hanover Research (View Most Recent)

For researchers, company has potential

I worked at Hanover Research

Pros

Colleagues are smart, creative, interesting, nice
    Generally interesting project requests
    Pay is better than some organizations
    Advancement opportunities
    Good work/life balance
    Low-key & low-stress work environment

Cons

Smart, creative researchers under-utilized
    Pay could be better (see: CEB, ABC)
    Management is not transparent at all
    Minimal set expectations/feedback for researchers
    Little/no sharing between sales and research sides
    Advancement opportunities due in part to turnover
    No training or development aside from OTJ

Managers could improve employee engagement and overall happiness at work by seeking more researcher input and by providing more clear expectations and feedback on projects - currently, employees feel under-valued because they are not regularly thanked for their work or, if it's not good, given very much feedback on how to improve.

Overall, don't expect the moon from this small organization. As an employee: if you can upward manage well, can speak up for yourself, and are truly a self-starter, then this organization will be a good fit.

Soul Crushing Workload, But Great People

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall, I've had a moderately good experience at Hanover. I started as a researcher and have moved into a client-facing role. My work as a researcher was not incredibly challenging, but I enjoy research and overall I was happy in the role. My coworkers (both laterally and at the senior levels) were and are easily the best part of the job. Everyone is great and supportive, and the culture has really been the facet that has kept me around for so long.

Cons

The challenges started when I moved into a client facing role. Unfortunately, there aren't many career pathways here, and researchers often end up in a client-facing position, regardless of whether that is truly the best fit for them. The transition was difficult, and there was very little training or soft onboarding to ease the blow. Dealing with curmudgeonly partners on a daily basis, after a long time with no partner interaction whatsoever, has been extremely stressful and has taken a severe emotional toll. Add to that the fact that I, as well as many of my peers, are very, very overworked, which creates additional stress as I strive to provide high-level service to all clients in my pool, even if it means personal sacrifices. Although I am relatively unhappy, I am not sure of how to broach this with my managers, as I'm not sure there are alternative positions for me in the company that I could move into laterally - all the other roles that might be more suited to my nature would be a decided step down the ladder, and at this point in my career, that is a move I do not want to make.

Again, I want to reiterate that the people I work with are fabulous, and if it wasn't for the crushing workload and the often unpleasant interactions with clients, I would be singing Hanover's praises. I'm optimistic that as a growing company that has proven time and time again to be open to feedback, things will improve as we continue to develop.

I would recommend some investigation into the optimal client ratio for those in client-facing roles; bringing down the ratio to a more manageable level would do wonders to improve morale in the mid-level staff.

Hanover Research Response

Oct 11, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoy working with your peers and coworkers but I am sorry to hear that you are not enjoying your current role as much as you did your position ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Hanover Research