There are newer employer reviews for Hertz

Overworked under appreciated

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Jacksonville, FL (US)
Current Employee - Branch Manager in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a great sense of camaraderie and if you are at the right store you can bonus upward of 15K quarterly.

Cons

Perpetually understaffed so Branch Managers will often work 60 hours per week which can be frustrating when your store is not bonusing or you are cutting staffs hours to meet OT goals. HIGH emphasis on sales with sometimes unrealistic goals-- can lead to some shady practices

Cutting corners to save money short term will cause some of the best managers to leave

1727 Other Employee Reviews for Hertz (View Most Recent)

HLE Branch Manager 3/ Airport LM3/Project Lighthouse

Former Employee - HLE Branch Manager III/Airport LM3/Project Lighthouse in Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Hertz full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The car an gas is a nice perk for managers. As well as the amount of time off give. Sales agents/ CSR's can make very good money if at a high volume location- 100k plus. If I were to go back to work for them I would go that route rather than management. I will say that Hertz does have the best employees, vehicles and policies addressing safety and maintenance of their fleet of cars. I will always be a customer.

Cons

Low pay, long hours! After 8 years of management and consistently moving up I was only making an avg of 45k. Hard to move up the ladder, you have to know the right people, must be willing to move to really be promoted and make decent money. On average if in mgmt you will work 10 - 12 hours days 5 days a week, especially once you are a manager. The worst thing is that they continually fire mangers that have been at the company for a long time 15 years plus. These are the mangers who have devoted their lives to Hertz and then without the blink of an eye they fire them for bogus issues. I have seen this happen over and over to good mangers! Don't waste your time working here if you have a degree, go somewhere else you will be better off. The "perks" are not worth the hassle . I got a new job with a future, with a better staring salary than I ever did with Hertz.

Follow your own acronyms. Make goals SMART... You would have a more success company if salaries were competitive. Successful dedicated managers like myself might stick around. Mark Frissora is an intelligent, charismatic, businessman who knows what he is doing the company has had a lot of positive changes but I don't think he truly knows what is going on at the lower levels.

Can be good short-term but long-term not worth it

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

HLE (Hertz local editions) locations have nights and usually weekends off
    Good experience running a business
    Potential for fast promotion (based on sales numbers)
    Face-paced environment, never boring to say the least

Cons

Long hours with no set-aside time for breaks and lunches (take em when you can get em)
    Phones ring off-the-hook, dealing with everything from reservations to billing issues
    As a branch manager, you are held accountable for sales from staff that doesn't work for you. i.e. Body shops staff rent cars but don't sell, dragging your numbers down but there is nothing you can really do about it. I have been told straight-up "It's not my job to sell your insurance".

Stop promoting based solely on sales numbers. while most branch managers are good there are some that are terrible. Also, if the entire area is selling at a certain level and one person is selling twice as high, they are probably gaming the system to get those numbers (very easy to do I've seen it many times). However, this is often overlooked just because high sales numbers look good on reports and that's all that senior management looks at.

There are newer employer reviews for Hertz