Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com

Upper management has totally lost site that the people in the trenchs are the money makers and need to be supported.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Washington, DC (US)
Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People you work with are great. I have built some long lasting relationships.

Cons

Don't expect to get a raise without fighting for it. Any training you take will not be approved unless it relates to your current position.

The stock holders pay your check but the people in the trenches are the ones building the networks, servers and workstations that make the stock go up. So please remember us when you get a big bonus.

Other Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Self-service Corporation

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good benefits such as various health plans, 401k, vacation, stock-options, holidays, etc. Interestingly enough, HP does not designate sick days.
    - Various training opportunities. However, be aware that it is a self-service environment and it is left to the individual to carve out time for training.

Cons

- After being told specifically that there would be no HP lay-offs for the particular client for which I and others were assigned, two months later we were, in fact, laid-off. After reviewing the list of positions and ages of the individuals involved in the lay-off, it is apparent that it was definitely age-related as the avg age of the employees was 50. In addition, within 6 weeks after my last working day, I was contacted by an outside recruiter regarding a 3 - 6 mon contract position for the very same job I held with HP. I even confirmed it was for my former HP functional manager and performing the same job duties. Very disappointing...
    - Be aware that HP is very much a self-service corporation. As a self-starter, this posed no challenge for me, but may for an individual who is used to having an HR representative onsite, administrative support, etc.

It is a sad state of affairs when an international, billion-dollar corporation finds itself in such financial difficulties that the only resort is to lay-off employees. If the end result is to streamline operations and/or reorganize business units/processes, it is understandable. Unfortunately, the decision to reduce HP's workforce is clearly due to the ineptitude of senior management, as well as a lack of foresight and strategic planning.

An awesome place to work, assuming you have the right package

Current Employee - Technical Consultant  in  Cyberjaya (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Cyberjaya (Malaysia)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have an awesome package but I cannot say the same for most other employees.
    Flexibility of work e.g. Work from home (assuming your position allows for this)
    Transport allowance (RM 350)
    Mixed cultures
    Awesome workmates
    Campus will have a really good looking cafeteria
    PLENTY of parking (i guess when you have attrition and no backfills, you're bound to have plenty of space)
    If you ever get to work with the Network Tower, that group is awesome.

Cons

Highest echelons of senior management tend to bicker about numbers, to the point of subordinates subtly changing numbers to fit the appropriate requirements
    A majority of managers tend to sacrifice their subordinates to save themselves
    Health screening is not available for normal employees.
    Some of the remuneration benefits can seem extremely paltry when compared to other MNCs
    Blindly following set numbers.
    Higher management tends to blow a lot of smoke and assumes subordinates do not have much information on the going ons.
    Not much space for growth. If it's a place you want to sit down, be complacent and remain stagnant, this may be the place for you.

You need to be much more transparent and have a more detailed view of how you achieve your numbers. Saying YES all the time to your higher ups, even when what the require is ridiculous only makes your employees wonder why you are not sticking up for us.
    Looking at numbers and not understanding how the people on the ground work, may eventually be your downfall.
    You need to understand that retention of talent is important. I've seen one too many talented individuals leave when that could have been avoided by prompt decisions to remedy the issue.
    The idea of offering a better position/career progression/remuneration to an employee on their way out is not effective. It should be offered when the employee is doing their best performance. Wrong retention strategy.
    Your townhalls are a lot of smoke and mirrors, and deflecting answers seem to be common place. That needs to change.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!