Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Good place to start, but don't stay

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Austin, TX (US)
Current Employee - IT Analyst in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My first job out of school, so I have to thank them for that. My peers are great, but recently at least half my group left, because we're all being held back, severely over-worked and underpaid. Lower management (my direct supervisor and their boss) are great and attentive to me and my peers, but upper management who sits in the office with us all share a very discouraging elitist attitude.

Cons

(Upper) management elitism. We use YEARS old technology to do our jobs, which makes us highly unproductive. They give us the cheapest, slowest equipment the company sells to work off of. With so many CEO turnovers, no one has a CLUE what direction this once great company is going. Pay is below market for my area at least. Promotion are VERY few and far between. My team is highly discouraged because as good as all of us are after several YEARS of dedication, the company demoralizes us by keeping us at New Hire status (and pay).

Take time to show appreciation to your team. And not buying t-shirts or walking around pretending to care about us. We are the world's largest technology firm, yet we use the most outdated, antiquated equipment and technologies. Listen to us when we have suggestions for newer/faster technologies.

9083 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Excellent people to work with

Current Employee - Enterprise Computer Engineer in Downers Grove, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Enterprise Computer Engineer in Downers Grove, IL (US)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and excellent products

Cons

Past issues with upper management caused long term damage to the company

You have the best products. Invest in customer support such that you do not burn out the people who made HP great.

It was a tough environment, but people in the company want to do the right thing for it.

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There was a great work-life balance. The company has a strong presence all over the world and has lots of resources to help you do your job well. Also, there are a lot of pockets of excellence within the company, but you have to use a lot of elbow grease and patience to make it happen.

Cons

There have been a lot of changes in strategy and it is confusing for the market, which makes it tough for the employees to do a good job serving our customers. It is a very large organization and sometimes you find out that there are duplicative efforts, which can batter the ego a bit and cause some confusion.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard