Hewlett-Packard

Changes are painful

Current Employee - Storageworks Division
Current Employee - Storageworks Division

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good pay and decent benfits. Great people to work with and very professional environment. Flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Goals are set at unrealistic levels and the only feedback that I recieve from management is when I have failed to submit one of the ever changing manual reports that I have to turn in weekly. No way to truly track my performance since the system shows deals at incorrect dollar amounts and sometimes fails to post alltogether. Doing my job day to day is continually made harder by the systems that have been put in place to supposedly make everything streamlined. Making the sale is just the first step in an unbelievably complicated process for processing orders.

Set realistic goals and get a handle on performance tracking. Provide an easier process for interfacing with customers and resellers. Value individual contributors.

9091 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Management needs to listen to their people

Current Employee - Program Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Working with some of the most talented engineers and professionals in the computer industry is one of the highlights of my day.

Cons

Management often makes decisions in the face of compelling data provided by their people. When things don't work out, they push people harder to pull out all the stops to recover from their bad decision. Management refuses to acknowledge their bad decisions yet they seem to continue getting promoted and rewarded while the people delivering the products are over-worked and had benefits and pay cuts while watching coworkers get 'managed out' by relative performance ratings which is really just a workforce reduction in disguise.

Start listening to your people. Start taking care of your people. Start appreciating your people. Without them, you are nothing. You can't outsource everyone.

A useful starting point for a career - but don't stay.

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good place to start for recent college grads. Use it for experience then move on quickly.

Cons

Less than average benefits package.
    Micromanagement encouraged by all levels of management.
    Presumed incompetence by leadership of those who report to them.
    Lack of trust everywhere.

Stop treating employees like they are idiots. Trust your employees to get the job done, and reward accordingly. Eliminate all the poor leaders at your mid and upper mid tiers of management. Some VPs need to go too. Beware of the false leaders - those who put on a good show, then whip their people behind the scenes. This is a rampant problem at HP.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard