There are newer employer reviews for Hormel

Solid company with great opportunity to improve internal processes and people management.

Current Employee - Category Analyst in Denver, CO (US)
Current Employee - Category Analyst in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Hormel

Pros

Fantastic portfolio of products and commitment to excellent products. The can do attitude of the employees is truly exceptional and exciting to be a part of.

Cons

Unwillingness to adopt more current people management practices in regard to time off, work-life balance, and telecommuting. Salaries do not seem to be as competitive either.

73 Other Employee Reviews for Hormel (View Most Recent)

The only thing I liked was a free move to another state..

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Hormel

Pros

Travel -you will definitely have to relocate
    Pay- above average compensation for those that are fresh out of college.
    Food- You get to eat a lot of Hormel product for free.

Cons

I don't think there is enough time in the day to describe how absolutely disgusted I am with the false advertisement this company sends to recent college grads. They make you believe that as a sales rep you are going to have opportunity for "growth' and be well respected...competely false. You literally are a bacon salesman going from one foul kitchen to another while carrying 70 pounds of food on your shoulder in a bright red bag. This is all you will do, ever. With every new "title" you receive, you are doing the same thing, just now you have to go into a lot more dirty kitchens since you have an expanded territory.

Side note, if you are of "ethnic" background, run for the hills. This is the most non-diverse, backwards company you will ever encounter. All men run it, and they treat minorities horribly. I am so happy I left this for another job opportunity. Heed the warning, explore all of your options before you become a meat salesman for life.

I don't think it matters what I write here since all of management are buddies and congregate at corporate in Austin, Mn over beer and small talk. But if they do glance over this, they need to do a complete assessment of all area managers...most are worthless.

Good Job for what it is, but a strong company

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Hormel

Pros

Pay was good
    Company car
    Lots of Perks ie cell phone, home cable paid for, and good benefits
    good training and continuing training
    Great people-management is nice and your co-workers are good (some people suck but that's everywhere you go)
    You get to travel

Cons

The future growth in the sales program is a bit limited. If I were to have stayed with Hormel in sales I would still be doing what I was doing when I first started. There is no difference between an entry sales position and a senior sales position except for the pay and territory size. If you have aspirations of moving into corporate be prepared to live in Austin (no not texas, which would be cool), Minnesota and go to Torgies everyday and live next to your boss. There should be the plant in Austin with corporate in Minneapolis where there is a good living situation away from the job.

I think management was great however there should be more employee involvment and more understanding of women and minorities. Hormel is somewhat whitebread, and wheat tastes good too ;-) Overall I liked my experience with hormel and I would recommend that someone start off their career with them.

There are newer employer reviews for Hormel