There are newer employer reviews for Hostess Brands

all down hill since we got a new distric manager

Current Employee - Lead Clerk in West Mifflin, PA (US)
Current Employee - Lead Clerk in West Mifflin, PA (US)

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

pay - customers are wonderful

Cons

no job security
unfair labor practice - if your not a friend of the dm
management needs walk our walk befor they pass judgement
the fact that they are no longer paying our pention and no one is forcing them to
that was part of our contract, it was a raise we were saving for our future where is that money the union told me if i want it i would have to get a attorney

if i was doing your job i would of already been fired for not making my numbers
now its your turn step down you don't know how to meet your numbers

114 Other Employee Reviews for Hostess Brands (View Most Recent)

This used to be an excellent place to work until it changed from IBC to Wonder Bread

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Peoria, IL (US)
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Peoria, IL (US)

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

The pay is somewhat driven by performance. However, there is room for improvement. Putting District Managers on a set salary I feel was a mistake. It made people lazy.

Cons

There isnt enough room to list them all. District managers are like people who are being drawn and quartered. They are pulled from 4 directions. Upper Management, Route Sales, Customers, & Their Families.It's become a basic rule that DSM's are considered at the end of their management career now. Upper Management has little respect for them and doesn't want to give them the training or the opportunities to succeed. The old IBC was an excellent place to work. You worked HARD, but you were respected and compensated well for your work. The New IBC (ran by a rag tag collection of Continental people and Ripplewood picks who know nothing about the baking business) Shows no respect, offers no advancement opportunities, and does not compensate based on performance.

#1 - Get rid of the Union. #2 invest in training. Not just a 1 day seminar and then they go back to running routes everyday so they forget what they've learned. Give them the manpower to effectivly manage their own operation. A good DSM can generate more than enough growth through his people if he is left to manage instead of on a route every week. #3 Respect your people. Good people will work hard and have pride in their work if you respect them. Ask any successful senior manager and he will tell you the same.

Hostess Brands could be compared to the Titanic after it struck the icberg.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Hostess Brands

Pros

Salary and benefits are better than most comparable positions with other companies.

Cons

The company has hired so many people from the outside for upper management that we are top heavy. The new people do not understand the business and they have made one bad decision after another. They have held meetings asking the employees what needs to be done to turn the company around and they end up doing the opposite. In an effort to justify the cost of hiring more upper management they have been laying off the people on the front lines doing all the work which squeezes middle management to pick up the slack. They have eliminated positions without thinking of who was to do the work so the few of us who once cared, had to scramble to cover the workload even though it wasn't related to our job. The company is so inefficient now, It takes weeks to get things done that used to be done in just a few minutes. Now they are going to close most of the offices and outsource the work overseas. The morale is very low with most expecting impending doom for the company.

The company needs to eliminate the current inefficient structure and go back to the same structure it had when it made money. The routes will have to be sold.

There are newer employer reviews for Hostess Brands