IBM

www.ibm.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

satisfied

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

time flexible and working culture

Cons

No growth in the company for smaller tenure

Need to be employee oriented and and focus to understand the employee's grevience

13161 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Cumbersome behemoth, lumbered down with red tape

Former Employee - Information Developer
    Former Employee - Information Developer

I worked at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good working environment, plenty of educational opportunities. Ability to transfer after two years. Globally recognised. Good social club, good holiday entitlement, good work/life balance.

Cons

Where do I start? As a writer, I had shoddy equipment, was subject to endless red tape and having to get access to a succession of restricted areas to do my job.

I was stuck in a team that regarded promotion as just not feasible - my manager actually laughed at a colleague of mine who asked her how she would go about getting a promotion. Our team passed information down the line only when absolutely necessary; very frustrating.

Oh, and then there's that atrocious IBM software - Lotus Notes and Symphony - which we had to use. Nobody in their right minds would choose them over the MS alternatives.

Finally, there's the PBC system, on which salary increases and, indeed, one's job ultimately depend. Managers are forced to choose a certain number of employees as under-performing, regardless of whether they're actually doing their job properly. This selection is on a competitive basis, but employees are not allowed access to information on how the decisions are made.

Drop the PBC system, which causes stress and resentment. Drop Lotus Notes and Symphony if you're not going to improve them - they're an industry joke. Have a more transparent system for advancement.

Heavy focus on cost cutting makes things hard to accomplish

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great overall financial performance and prospects for growth
    Strong Brand and presence in marketplace
    Wide range of technology solutions provides for interesting work

Cons

High focus on driving down costs with constant threats of layoffs
    Silos and metrics driven management style precludes effective innovation and cross organization collaboration
    Large amount of administrative pain makes getting things done quickly difficult
    Cross organization mobility is touted as a plus, but is diffiuclt in practice

Figure out how to invest effectively in people and in simplifying operations

There are newer employer reviews for IBM