IBM

www.ibm.com
  www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Software Engineer Inter

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Austin, TX (US)
Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Tech giant with massive resources and really talented people. You work on products that are touched by millions in mission critical areas. For such a big company, it feels very nimble. You can easily reach any employee worldwide through Sametime. It feels like a tight-knit environment, even thought you are 1 or hundreds of thousands. Every manager I have dealt with is awesome. Uber professionalism throughout.

Cons

It is a big company. It takes weeks to do some things that would be done in hours in a startup. I wish product development was more streamlined. That similar products were merged or shut down. And that products would not be saddled with every single possible feature.

Every single manager I have dealt with is awesome. So keep picking good people.

12180 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Love my job, wish I had more stability

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Boulder, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Boulder, CO (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work at home, flexible schedule

Cons

Offshoring jobs makes me very uneasy

Keep jobs in US!

Great place to work if you can find a way to avoid the salary compression.

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Best thing about my time at IBM, were the managers. 3 out of the 4 (two male and two female) I had during the 13 years were great, the 4th was a nice person but in way over her head. She didn't have a clue what our team did or how she could actually help us do it better. Thankfully, she stayed out of our way and let us do our job.

Cons

Once you start working for IBM you better be prepared to experience a major case of Salary compression. In the mean time they are hiring in people that do the same job as you at a much higher rate. I have had several friends leave for a year or two to take a 20% to 30% pay increase with another company and then come back and get another 20% to 30% increase. They pay well to entice you to join them and never again will you get a decent raise. In 13 years my average raise is 1.74%, some years it has been 0% others 3%. Many of those years I was ranked as the best on my team. Now they are in a mode of Crowdsourcing/Outsourcing everything they can. Less and less stability all of the time. Kind of sad. IBM has such a rich heritage of being such a great place to work for pay, benefits and culture.

Quit doing stupid things just to satisfy the stockholders for this quarter. Take a longer more strategic vision.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM