Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Senior Specialist  in  Houston, TX (US)
Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at IHS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with, very diverse work enviroment, not an old boys club. Full of characters from all over the world (young and old, many different cultures, languages and backgrounds),
 My immediate boss is great. Nice office enviroment in an upscale part of town. Bonus shares of stock vested after one year tied to company performance.

Cons

2 % wage increases, even though the company is reporting record profits. Healthcare plan has pleny of room for improvement. Big corporate company that has been buying up smalll informaiton companies like crazy; down side is those people who made in through the initial aquisition are too concerned with protecting their own turf, mainly in the sales department. Sales is carved up into fiefdoms that dont make product sense.

Eliminate some of those middle-manament from the upper end. Honestly the chain of bosses between me and the CEO in huge. I don't even have any interaction with many of the "managers" above me. My immediate supervisor is great. Pay the staff of analysts and data collectors better, they are the real value in this company.

Other Reviews for IHS

All-encompassing yet misleading

I worked at IHS full-time

Pros

- you are given a wide responsibilities of tasks and responsibilities that are both quantitative and qualitative, so you gather a lot of job skills quickly.
    - IHS has a wide network of employees and office locations, which is beneficial for projects
    - decent 401K, employee benefits. HR makes a lot of effort to demonstrate career opportunities with IHS

Cons

- your experience really depends on what group you are assigned to (and this is typically predetermined).
    - not all of management is competent, and often there are too many layers of unnecessary "management" by folks that were promoted arguably way too quickly.
    - gross discrepancies between detailed job responsibilities (expected) versus tasks you are actually required to do.

More transparency and communication from corporate with regards to what is happening to the company, changes that occur. Very often the regional offices are uncertain as to what is the standard protocol or practice.

Analyst

Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at IHS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stock options if objectives are reached (used to be at the time)

Cons

Not a perfect company but not too bad as well , I guess all depend on your manager !

A good manager should know how to recognize a potential good or bad team leader.... esp. regarding skills... and knowledge of the business....

There are newer employer reviews for IHS.

Worked for IHS? Contribute to the Community!