Intuit

www.intuit.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Intuit

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

It's a great place to work.
Encouraged to come up with new idea's.
Good recognition tools (Spotlights).
Voice of the employee surveys.
Fostering of employee's personal development plans.
Good package.
4 paid charity volunteering days off p.a.

Cons

Haven't found anything too drastic.

None

1719 Other Employee Reviews for Intuit (View Most Recent)

A Long Way To Go

Current Employee - Anonymous in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

Company benefit program is exceptional and far exceeds other companies I have worked for. Scott Cook is becoming very active and helping product managers get better, but still has a long way to go.

Cons

The company culture is highly political and becoming overly focused on those that can perform in front of the "camera". Which means good stories with little substance. There are too many middle management GM layers, which lack true decision making. Really they are PM's. Performance management often is lacking. Lots of talk by management about people that aren't strong, but little action. Layoffs happen as a means to weed out low performing individuals. Requisitions for "new talent" go on hold every year.

Address your performance management issue and start hiring.

Get back to your roots or you'll be irrelevant soon

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

There are some amazing people working at this company. It makes it much easier to come to work every day knowing that I get the privilege of spending time with a group of well-educated, intelligent, interesting, dedicated software engineers.

Cons

This company desperately needs to get back to its roots. The focus in 2008 was almost exclusively on the stock price. Whatever happened to the employee and the customer? This season's TurboTax and QuickBooks debacles could have easily been avoided if the company had paid attention to its customers. For the employees whatever happened to a culture that was tailor-made for great software engineers? Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any creative solutions coming from senior management about what to do next. The company leaders are obsessed with growth yet rather than investing in additional product development they continue to allocate money to stock buybacks (or worse, laying off high performing engineers). Instead of encouraging software engineers to be creative and solve cool problems we see the shared software group (formerly known as SD&S), which was turning out the highest quality software in the company, blown up and its remains stuffed inside small business. Shared, reusable software continues to be an incredibly challenging, yet rewarding, software engineering problem - the engineers loved it and it was showing great results. Were I still an engineer I would have given my left arm (I need my right arm to work my mouse) to work in an organization that develops shared software. Instead of investing in great talent in MTV or SD (or the other U.S. engineering sites) the senior leaders invest in India in a proportion far greater than deserved. Any great idea an engineer has must go through an army of product managers before it might see the light of day. eBay, Amazon, Yahoo!, Google, Priceline (and 1000s of other great products) were the brainchild of great, creative engineers and succeeded without product managers. Instead of encouraging and facilitating engineer collaboration the much-loved Tech Forum has been replaced by CTOF, which is dominated by Product Managers and Marketers. The engineers have no organized forum where they can just geek out and talk software. Amazingly, in a software company, there is virtually no software quality community. You can count the number of quality leaders at the level of Director and above on one hand with some fingers left over. Anyone want to guess how many Directors and VPs there are in the Finance or Legal or HR organizations?

Go back to your roots! Put the employees first - stop making decisions based on what you think the analyst community wants to hear. Directing your decisions at the stock market is a fool's game - in this day and age companies can announce earnings in the billions of dollars and see their stock price drop the next day. Recognize quickly that if you don't start treating the engineers better you won't have any engineers - even in a bad economy good engineers never have a problem finding a job.

There are newer employer reviews for Intuit