There are newer employer reviews for J.B. Hunt

So far, so bad...Whether or not JBHT was a good foundation for me long term - yet to be determined....

Former Employee - Various Roles, Managerial and Otherwise  in  Lowell, AR (US)
Former Employee - Various Roles, Managerial and Otherwise in Lowell, AR (US)

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pros of JBHT ? Well it was a job and paid the bills for a few years early in my career...It taught me how to handle stressful situations, how *not* to lead/manage people, and has in some arenas (where folks are familiar with how difficult an environment this organization was) reflected well on a resume. To be balanced and fair, while it was by far the exception rather than the norm, I did meet some great individuals and experience personal development while there. Company stock has outperformed, and Intermodal/DCS business units are solid to the portfolio and remain in a growth stage.

To what extent this place served as a solid start for my career is still yet to be determined - thus far I can only say it set me back professionally a few years and I'm still trying to make up that ground. Hopefully one day I'll look back and see it differently.

Cons

Where do I start ? I suppose the #1 issue JBHT had at its core was compensation. A good pay check covers many sins/ills, and much of the poor culture and bizarre managerial practices could be better tolerated if you were making money. Sadly, almost NOBODY makes any money at this company. Honestly, I rare encountered anyone who made $50K salary which is a fairly humble figure at most mid-cap to large companies. The company operated in the stone age when it came to HR practices - there were no pay bands, compensation was a very taboo topic, every time a budget cut was necessary employees salary/benefits were the first thing to go. Bonuses, even when metrics were achieved, were often times not granted due to a variety of lame reasons. I could write book about the "cons", but in general, there was little development of employees or fair compensation.

Promote integrity, fairness, and employee benefits. In other words: transform the culture. If you do this, they'll take care of you! This is being strategic and focusing more on the long term...Be slower to hire, vetting candidates thoroughly,and then develop/promote those individuals to encourage retention.

235 Other Employee Reviews for J.B. Hunt (View Most Recent)

Great Place to Gain Valuable Experience

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast initial promotions, give entry level manages progressive experience to put their resume.
    Great learning experience, during your initial training you are exposed to a wide variety topics and as you grow in your career you will use all of it.
    Excellent forecasted growth

Cons

Turn and burn attitude towards front line managers, it apprears as may career has progressed that they are not set up to retain lower level management.
    Expanding fast, mid level management can be overwhelmed and not address operational concerns at your expense

Frontline managers have valuable knowledge that needs to be harvested before prior to customer issues.

A Company That Cares about Their Employees and Customers

Current Employee - Dedicated Manager In Training  in  Rialto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Dedicated Manager In Training in Rialto, CA (US)

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company takes care of their employees as long as the employees do their job. There's never a point with the company where you can't move up anymore until you become the CEO. They always want the employees to blossom into their fullest potential. I'm proud to work for JB Hunt.

Cons

Haven't experienced any with the company yet.

Keep up the great motivating skills and providing safety training to continue to be the best.

There are newer employer reviews for J.B. Hunt

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!