J.B. Hunt

www.jbhunt.com
  www.jbhunt.com
There are newer employer reviews for J.B. Hunt

So far, so bad...Whether or not JBHT was a good foundation for me long term - yet to be determined....

Former Employee - Various Roles, Managerial and Otherwise in Lowell, AR (US)
Former Employee - Various Roles, Managerial and Otherwise in Lowell, AR (US)

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pros of JBHT ? Well it was a job and paid the bills for a few years early in my career...It taught me how to handle stressful situations, how *not* to lead/manage people, and has in some arenas (where folks are familiar with how difficult an environment this organization was) reflected well on a resume. To be balanced and fair, while it was by far the exception rather than the norm, I did meet some great individuals and experience personal development while there. Company stock has outperformed, and Intermodal/DCS business units are solid to the portfolio and remain in a growth stage.

To what extent this place served as a solid start for my career is still yet to be determined - thus far I can only say it set me back professionally a few years and I'm still trying to make up that ground. Hopefully one day I'll look back and see it differently.

Cons

Where do I start ? I suppose the #1 issue JBHT had at its core was compensation. A good pay check covers many sins/ills, and much of the poor culture and bizarre managerial practices could be better tolerated if you were making money. Sadly, almost NOBODY makes any money at this company. Honestly, I rare encountered anyone who made $50K salary which is a fairly humble figure at most mid-cap to large companies. The company operated in the stone age when it came to HR practices - there were no pay bands, compensation was a very taboo topic, every time a budget cut was necessary employees salary/benefits were the first thing to go. Bonuses, even when metrics were achieved, were often times not granted due to a variety of lame reasons. I could write book about the "cons", but in general, there was little development of employees or fair compensation.

Promote integrity, fairness, and employee benefits. In other words: transform the culture. If you do this, they'll take care of you! This is being strategic and focusing more on the long term...Be slower to hire, vetting candidates thoroughly,and then develop/promote those individuals to encourage retention.

253 Other Employee Reviews for J.B. Hunt (View Most Recent)

ICS still a work in progress but much better than 2 years ago

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AR (US)

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Improvement in work life balance and work flow

Cons

Compensation still low and still needs improvement in leadership roles

Continue to hire executive leadership from other division to help in improving worklife/compensation, and understanding business.

A Company That Cares about Their Employees and Customers

Current Employee - Dedicated Manager In Training in Rialto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Dedicated Manager In Training in Rialto, CA (US)

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company takes care of their employees as long as the employees do their job. There's never a point with the company where you can't move up anymore until you become the CEO. They always want the employees to blossom into their fullest potential. I'm proud to work for JB Hunt.

Cons

Haven't experienced any with the company yet.

Keep up the great motivating skills and providing safety training to continue to be the best.

There are newer employer reviews for J.B. Hunt