1992 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Good company with decent benefits and decent amount of opportuntites

Former Employee - Area Manager  in  Cedar Hill, TX (US)
Former Employee - Area Manager in Cedar Hill, TX (US)

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time for more than a year

Pros

jcp is not scared to place you in a role that you have no experience in. Multiple locations throughout the country which provides opportunities for advancement if willing to locate.

Cons

Limited opportunities if not willing to locate. If a position is offered to you and you turn down the position (due to location or job preferences), it is difficult to advance.

Management should evaluate their distribution center HR policies as there are a multitude of under-performing supervisors and managers who cannot be dismissed from the company due to the Pro-employee approach they take. This effects moral of quality employees.

Other Reviews for J. C. Penney

This isn't a workplace, it's a high school cafeteria.

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time

Pros

Easy to learn job. Was fully trained at all aspects within a week. Flexible hours, but you have to set your schedule weeks in advance.

Cons

The cons are obvious. They got rid of all the full time workers to fund the transformation, so the only people here are 20 year olds who started when they were 16. They're in supervisor roles now, which is great. There's nothing like a 30 year old college educated newbie getting yelled at in front of customers for 'leaning on the counter' by a 20 year old that talks on their cell phone in the fitting room all day.

Also, if you say ANYTHING about another worker, rest assured they will know about it within 5 minutes. There's nothing that says 'great work environment' like keeping silent all day out of fear of retaliation.

We're in the middle of the worst recession in a century where there are out of work engineers, lawyers, managers, etc., just begging for a job, and you choose to keep around a bunch of kids, many of whom are uneducated and unmotivated?

There really is no advice, as the managers currently there are in the same boat: 20-something sycophants who were only promoted because they have been there a decade. There is no standard, there is no vision, there is no goal. Just a glorified after school program with no oversight.

The reason they don't care about the work force or professionalism is because the writing is on the wall. The stores are empty as is, and it's only getting worse once more 'changes' happen. That should tell prospective workers who want long term security all they need to know.

The only positive about that is the majority of the people there will be working at the local snack shack in 2 years, and the managers will never get a senior position in any other company.

Bad news for Penney's, good news for humanity.

New changes will kill once great company

Current Employee - Furniture Sales-Commission Before Hourly Change  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Furniture Sales-Commission Before Hourly Change in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discount, Fellow slaves, and flexible schedule

Cons

Long hours, No service just clerks and Management doesn't really care. Only Part time help now. I was Full time and Commission making over $38.00 a hour as "benefit rate" and I was called into the office and told because of new changes I will no longer be full time. Also that my new job title they figured it was fair to start people at $10.25 and hour and max at $16.00.. I'm not sure how that is fair? I was a great sales person, but was told they didn't want sales people anymore just clerks.

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!