Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants

www.kimptonhotels.com
  www.kimptonhotels.com
There are newer employer reviews for Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants

manager

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants

Pros

great place to work. recommend it.

Cons

lots of locations - so lots of travel.

good job!

106 Other Employee Reviews for Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants (View Most Recent)

My time with Kimpton

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants

Pros

I think Kimpton is a great place to work for several reasons. First, the culture is amazing. People are happy to be at work, and they strive to have the best guest experiences. Second, because the company is small, you have opportunities to work in many departments for cross-training. Furthermore, it is common to meet the CEO or COO during their visits, because they enjoy seeing friendly faces. Finally, their hotels care for the environment and embrace green practices.

Cons

One of the biggest cons about Kimpton is that they really like people willing to move up the ranks by relocating to many cities around the US. If this environment is not for you, you may want to pass on Kimpton. Also, their pay scale for management is slightly lower than the counterparts I've known at other 4-5 star corporate brands.

The leadership at Kimpton is outstanding. All the Directors, VP's, and C-suite members add value to Kimpton. They keep the vision alive, and it is well evident.

High turnover at Kimpton in Sales

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants

Pros

Hotels are built in a first class manner. Do live the markets that they are trying to sell into. SF Management is the true vision for the company and that vision is really attractive.

Cons

The sales aspects are not to try to play hard against Hilton, Starwood and Marriott, even though they are in your competitive set. Really disappointing about how they approach trade show marketing and appearance. Sad difference between East and West Coast leadership. East Coast is micro managed and plays shell games with Owners & your budget which you are expected to live with. Yet you are never truly in control of. For a company that preaches that they are one of the best companies to work with, I cant figure out why they always have job openings in their Sales Departments? My feel is the control aspect, they want people to be puppets in their Sales teams with very little imput about how to improve your products. I just dont understand why SF Corporate leadership has not seen this massive turnover and wanted to ask questions if the problems are not the people - but the leadership that is directing them. Good talent in company, but a lot of turn over - most that you will see even in this tough environment. For as much quality as their products show, if interviewing in this discipline you have to ask about why so much turnover - especially in East Coast region.

East Coast have few GM's that have true control over their properties - especially budgets. Regionals are too involved with way too many layers of people who really are not producing sales, but are there due to relationships. Being a work a holic does not mean that you are really that good at preaching about how to treat people. There are a few that have been granted sweeping power and are not the ones you want to have life balance conversations with as you never will out work them. The turn over level of your sales departments has become alarming to people in the industry and Kimpton's core beliefs dont seem to make it across the country. Thus good people leave. Dont believe that they were not the right fits, you have people who are the right fit and believe in making it happen. When you have people who are really not qualified sitting in Ivory Tower positions who dont provide any real value and the people in their region are bailing - sorry but it is not the people it is the environment. I have a great deal of respect for the company, but maybe expanding too fast has allowed core values in regards to treatment of staff to slip. I would reach out to those that left from a Corporate level to get some insight, as I dont see people signing up for a Kimpton Sales slot when every other week another opening is popping up in the same discipline. It is a bad sign for a company that prides itself in being a great place to work. These people are good people and have the support of their hotels, they can more than deliver - you need to look at why they are not able to do it - when so many other brands dont have the same publicized turn over in H Careers each week.

There are newer employer reviews for Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants