An ok job to have while in college or high school

Former Employee - Cashier/Bagger  in  Elizabethtown, KY (US)
Former Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Elizabethtown, KY (US)

I worked at Kroger part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, great co-wokers, union benefits, raise every 6 months, job is protected by the union, so it's fairly difficult to get fired.

Cons

Poor management, crazy work hours, working holidays, union conflicts between managers and employees. There's a lot of favoritism toward certain employees, especially the ones who were relatives or friends of the managers. Due to the union it's almost impossible to get fired, so if they no longer wanted you, they will just cut your hours down to one 4 hour day a week until you just quit. Another downfall to the union was that a lot of employees were extremely lazy as a result because they knew they wouldn't lose their job for doing absolutely nothing, so that would mean the good workers would have to work twice as hard.

Stop with the favoritism and start rewarding the employees who really deserve it.

Other Reviews for Kroger

Kroger is a good first time job

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at Kroger part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the hours I was given, I enjoyed the people I got to meet, and that includes coworkers and customers. My managers and supervisors were nice, and helpful, especially when coworkers would take advantage of situations.

Cons

Pay, promises not followed through when I was "promoted", felt there were too many politics involved with trying to move up in the company, and even with dedication and hard word, I wasn't recognized, and others who had less experience were promoted before me even though I was told I was "on the list".

Be more empathetic to situations, be more understanding and more leadership like in critism than having a "boss" air. You're no better than your employee's, and scaring them into doing things, instead of wanting to help them thrive, is something that should be worked on.

High turnover rate and now I understand why

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Kroger part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a known name. They will hire ANYONE as long as you say you can work ANY shift, you PASS the assessment test on the employment application, drug test (cheek swab given right then and there) and background check. Training is paid, but make sure you stay for the entire time you're scheduled because if you don't that will mean less money on your first paycheck.

Cons

1. Extremely low pay.
    2, Crazy, erratic, non-consistent hours.
    3. Training is not thorough at all. They pretty much just toss you on the floor and expect for you to know how to do any and everything in the store,even if you have ZERO experience.
    4. It's basically impossible to get a day off for any reason. Once you tell them your availability during the hiring process, they basically will not allow you to change it.

Treat your employees better and maybe your stores wouldn't be understaffed like the one I was at. It proved that getting hired easily isn't always a good thing.

There are newer employer reviews for Kroger.

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!