Liberty Mutual Insurance

www.libertymutualgroup.com

Great people, lots of opportunities, lots of bureaucracy in IT

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) Dover, NH (US)

ProsLiberty is a huge company with a huge IT organization. If you get your foot in the door and you do well, you can be guaranteed that you'll be able to move around and try different things you're interested in. Also, the majority of the workers in IT are *very* nice. I worked in Portsmouth, NH and Dover, NH and the majority of those I interacted with daily were great people, I ended up making lots of good friends there. The compensation is also good and you get a lot of time off.

ConsI worked in IT, and you can tell that the business does not appreciate or understand the value that IT provides to their business. I believe that this is in part caused by the fact that middle management in IT (not necessarily executive management) hides the truth about IT operations in order to save face.

Another consequence of middle management doing this is that if an IT project is going badly, instead of explaining why things are going wrong and asking for help, they instead expect IT employees to make up for this by working overtime to make up for it. I especially saw this with system administrators - they have no say in how IT projects are run yet are simply expected to be on at all hours of the night to make changes so they don't impact systems during business hours. On top of this, there is no recognition when these employees have to do off hours work with no notice, in addition to their normal business hours work.

Also, the health insurance could be better, it's a bit expensive for what you get.

Even though this cons section was long, it's really a good place to work!

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to create a culture where honesty is rewarded instead of punished. Reward your employees if they have to do off hours IT work. Better yet, if 24x7 support is needed, create more shifts. Even better yet, invest effort into solidifying IT processes so that the fear of doing changes during business hours isn't there anymore.

Good, but not getting better

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Salary and benefits are very competitive. Excellent job security. If management identifies you as a top performer you will get plenty of bonuses… Cons: Tons of bureaucracy and red tape. IT is very… Advice to Senior Management: Make up your mind. Every year or so we have a change in management that dramatically changes how we do… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great job if you can handle the pressure.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Portland, ME (US)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros: They really let you run your own business. The income potential… Cons: Depending on your location, it can be difficult to generate enough quality prospects. There is… Advice to Senior Management: Cut back on the turnover in sales. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!