Liberty Mutual Insurance

www.libertymutualgroup.com
  www.libertymutualgroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

Very good company to work for!

Former Employee - Insurance Agent  in  Austin, TX (US)
Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, and good people that they hire.

Cons

Growing company throughout the country so there is some instability.

1080 Other Employee Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance (View Most Recent)

Frustrating

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Appleton, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Appleton, WI (US)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You have a great Pension, Matching 401K and oobs of Vacation time.

Cons

Everything else. This company is a huge corporation in the worst sense. They are run by Analysts and have cut customer service, claims, and budgets to the Maximum they think employees can endure. There is a huge disconnect between what they think you can handle and what th reality is. Not enough help or assistance for the agents. If you need help you get a Corporate Talking Point. They don't want suggestions from employees unless it is in line with exactly where they want to go. They want everyone to be Robots that are exactly the same so the customer has the same experience all over the country, except if you have customers you talk to every day, you still have to go through a 20 minute conversation to help them. You are overworked, overstressed, and are bombarded with tasks to satisfy management that are not related to your job. Customer service reps. are call monitored and critizied on every time thing they do. Their Customer Satisfaction Standards are unreachable because their is so much you can't control, and if the Market is bad, which it has been for awhile customers are dissatisfied and will give you a bad score no matter how hard you try, so you always are leaving feeling like you can't win and feel bad about yourself. Their expectations are unrealistic, and especially if you are a Sales Rep. the turnover is extremely high. You have no budget to help with events, and you have to spend alot out of pocket to make it work. They have cut overtime and mileage, yet you still can expect to work 55-60 hours per week. I have worked here over a very long time, and am promised over and over awards, and salary that is never delivered on. Whenever you just about get there they raise the goal, so it is almost impossible to reach it. They look at you as a number, so if you rates are good it is kindof not so bad in sales, then they will change them because they think they are giving it away and then they think it is all your fault everyone was doing fantastic but now is not. Morale is horribly low, and you leave every day feeling awful about yourself. You are constantly bombarded with angry customers which the company doesn't care about keeping. (They tell you they do) it's all your fault you can't keep them, but they give you no real way to help with their rates. They think sales reps. just slack off all day and don't work hard, when everyone is killing themselves, but they are on you all day long anyways. All the good leads go to the Call Center per. their agreements,but they think the call center is so awesome even though the local agents have to do the tough work and get the hard to get customers each day. I have never met anyone that has actually really liked their job here ever.

This company needs to be on the show Undercover boss. If they had any idea how hard we work, and how hard it is to do your job here, I think they might actually be surprised. You can't run everything by an Analyst and things on paper don't always Correlate to what actual real humans are going through in the real world.

6 Years, 10 Managers - Apparently responsibilty as policy only applies to customers.

Former Employee - Software/Systems Engineer  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software/Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

•Competitive compensation
    •Tuition reimbursement
    •Pension
    •Other benefits decent

Cons

•Lack of direction - I had 10 managers in 6 years but only ever changed jobs once. I was told that managers are shuffled to groups they have no experience with every 2 years as part of their development. You can imagine how this impacts employee development.

•Limited connection between individual performance and bonuses - 2 years in a row employees in my group were told that our bonuses was funded at a lower level because of high claims payouts due to natural disasters. Those same years the CEO earned ~$50M. He and the current CEO later explained that this was due to phantom stock earned over a long career appreciating due to solid performance and that his normal annual compensation was closer to $15M. For the record, I'm not against big company CEOs being highly compensated (I think Jamie Dimon and Lloyd Blankfein earn it), but for a mutual company owned by policyholders, $50M in compensation because of strong performance while I'm told I won't be getting even half of my bonus because it rained a lot last year seems odd. I wonder what his $50M compensation would have been if the weather had been better.

•Broken promises - As a company that's grown significantly through acquisition and dealt with dozens if not hundreds of "redundancies" as a result, you'd think that the company would be able to handle a delicate situation like a significant re-org with some finesse. Instead the updates employees were promised either consisted of "we're still working on it" or missed entirely.

•Purposeless Performance Evaluation - Every year employees spend a significant amount of time writing goals and having their performance evaluated. Turns out this measure of your performance is not taken into account at all when layoffs are considered. You can have performance above 100 every year you're there and that will not be considered at all when someone decides whether you get laid off or not. This is not conjecture. I was told this by my manager and HR.

•Waste - It isn't difficult to see where employee bonuses went. Upon taking over for $200M man Ted Kelly in 2011, CEO David Long remodeled his office at a cost of over $4.5M ($3370 per square foot). This does not sound like a responsible mutual company acting in its policyholders' best interests. And I can see why a company might need one or a couple of private jets, but 5? Seems like someone's trying to top RJR.

•Connect compensation (particularly bonuses) more to individual performance, not weather

•Cultural and strategic changes take time to be realized. Just because some desired change isn't complete in 6 months doesn't mean it isn't taking hold.

•Behave responsibly and respectfully when letting people go and consider their performance.

There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!