There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Lockheed Martin is the best major defense company to work for in Huntsville, Alabama.

Current Employee - Software Engineer, Senior in Huntsville, AL (US)
Current Employee - Software Engineer, Senior in Huntsville, AL (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Lockheed, Huntsville is a great facility that really cares for employees. There are many opportunities for a person to grow and hone engineering skills, and most of the management is very helpful to making sure their employees are satisfied. The pay is above average, and Lockheed typically stays on the cutting edge of defense programs.

Cons

They took away BCBS as a health insurance option, and the vision plan stinks if you don't use the chain vision centers. Most of the programs are large, and with that comes large program politics.

Try to reach out more to junior engineers. Have more random one on one meetings and less "all hands" meetings.

2442 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

9/80 work week rocks but stock options would go a long way towards retaining young talent.

Current Employee - Electronics Engineer Senior in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Electronics Engineer Senior in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Lockheed Space Systems has a terrific work-life balance. Three weeks of vacation is standard for all employees plus holidays. The 9/80 work week is wonderful; you get every other Friday off!

Cons

There is a lot bureaucracy that can make getting anything done very difficult. The publishing of research is discouraged by the legal department. Promotions hard to earn and based entirely on the employee's age, not skills nor knowlege nor talent. There are many near-retirees in trumped-up roles that contribute little. A lot of great, young engineers start their careers at Lockeed then quickly jump ship when they see miniscule raises and no opportunites.

Profit share like the rest of Silicon Valley. Too much young talent is leaving.

Lockheed Martin Corporation Internship Program 2006-2007

Former Employee - College Student Non Tech Intern in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Former Employee - College Student Non Tech Intern in Alexandria, VA (US)

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Lockheed Martin opened many doors for me. LM had a comprehesive intern program that encouraged students to be eager about all facets of their internship. I loved every minute.

Cons

Returning to LM was hard my third year. Althought I had two years experience under my belt and great reviews from my two previous years, many othe managers were stressed on GPA's. I got a 3.0, drove 200 miles to interview and did not get in, where as my 1st and 2nd year got in w/o an interview and w/o a review of my transcript -- and my grades were lower back then!

Keep doing what you are doing! But just a note: Anyone can be book smart -- I know kids who cheat to get good grades. Experience in the field is what separates a great intern from a good one.

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin