Great college job

Current Employee - Guest Service Agent in Lawrence, KS (US)
Current Employee - Guest Service Agent in Lawrence, KS (US)

I have been working at Lodgian

Pros

I work part-time at the front desk of a Holiday inn, while attending college. Overall, the atmosphere is great - everyone, from the bottom to the top, is very team oriented.

There are definitely busy times and slow times, though. Weekends from around March through November are usually crazy - lots of weddings and business conferences in our convention center. But even during peak times, the weekdays and weeknights are still pretty low-key. That's awesome for a college student like myself. I finished a lot of homework on the clock! I know that sounds bad, but hey, someone has to man the front desk, even when the hotel is completely dead.

Cons

We are independently owned and you can definitely tell by how skimpy the housekeepers are paid, how chintzy the benefits are for full-timers, etc. Also, management has changed so many times around here it's ridiculous. I think we've finally got some good people in place though.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees and they will likely return the favor and stick around for awhile.

reviews filtered by
  1. Own Your Own Business

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Hillside, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Hillside, IL (US)

I worked at Lodgian

Pros

There are good people and great discounts Worldwide.

Cons

The company is not as progressive as they claim to be....the benefits are ok but in this day in age they only offer domestic partner benefits for same sex couples...Alot of companies out there already offer opposite sex benefits..2 weeks vacation considering the amount of work you do throughout the year is not enough....Lots of micro managing and a lot of thesenior management doesn't know how to speak to the sales associates and can be very condescending...not a respectful environment at times.

Advice to Management

RESPECT...lead by example and be consistent and fair to everyone...do more team building activities in the stores and help the employees grow..There are many people that have so much potential and feel stagnant cause senior management holds them back and don't help them develop...
    RESPECT again !!! there is a lack of in a big way, it fosters low morale and harbors a lot of ill feelings in the store environment...more communication between management and sales associates.

2. Low pay, no training, but hey, it's a paycheck.

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Traverse City, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Traverse City, MI (US)

I have been working at Lodgian

Pros

You get a paycheck, a small, small, paycheck. There is little to no training, the manager takes training tests for you and lets you know that you got a 100 percent on the computer training. They ask if you want a tour of the hotel so you can explain the rooms and lay out to guests, but then refuse to show you. There is a lot of back stabbing and gossip allowed to go on between assosiates and managers. Overall, a very immature, weakly, run hotel which shows a lot of complacency. They are riding on the Holiday Inn Brand.

Cons

As with many other entry level positions, a lot of work for a little pay. Very multitasking intensive, combined with kissing up to rude patrons. Little to no training.

Advice to Management

Train your people.