LucasArts

www.lucasfilm.com

LucasArts...it ain't what it used to be...but it could get better.

Producer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsLucasArts has access to some of the most powerful licenses in the industry. We also have managed to hire some of the most passionate game developers in the country. The location is amazing, the amenities very nice and the atmosphere is good.

The promise of synergy between the various LucasFilm companies is tantalizing.

ConsRecent layoffs and change of administration have left a gaping hole in morale and in the power structure. What is rushing in to the vacuum so far does not appear to be positive (or positive enough) in either case.

There are many high level management types who have little to no game development experience. On top of that lack of experience, they seem to genuinely enjoy making decisions that affect everyone downstream from them without taking those people into consideration (i.e. talking over said changes).

I have never seen so many ridiculous charts, graphs, documents and procedures accrue over such a short span in my life. There was a document on how to have a meeting (purportedly to simplify the process) that looked like the flow chart for programming the software to run a nuclear reactor. It was that complicated, not to mention so colorful that it was unreadable and also appeared radioactive.

Advice to Senior ManagementAbrupt change in administration left LEC without its heart and soul, and completely ripped the culture of the company apart.

Loss of morale, loss of personnel and loss of trust should not come as any surprise to anyone, and yet it continually has surprised senior management.

There is something to be said for:

* Addressing the company in the manner that we have become accustomed to over the years. That is to say openly, honestly, publicly and OFTEN.

* Acting quickly to stem the tide of losses.

* Creating infrastructure without creating redundancies and / or confusion.

LucasArts: a lot of potential, but clear direction is still uncertain

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at LucasArts

Pros: The work environment is pleasant, and benefits are good. Resources are top-notch,… Cons: The company has lofty goals, but they often seem unrealistic given the lack of communication or clear vision of how to accomplish those goals. While the… Advice to Senior Management: A clearer engineering strategy is needed. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

A once successful company with great unexpressed talent and potential struggling to survive

Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at LucasArts

Pros: Great location and facilities, if your dream of a lifetime is to be part of something that belongs to… Cons: pay is not great, managers are rarely competent (being a big fan of star wars doesn't make you smart or anything),… Advice to Senior Management: Senior management should start to trust its best engineers and stop taking uneducated decisions. To be fair most of the management should simply be let… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on LucasArts.

Worked for LucasArts? Contribute to the Community!