There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Would definitely recommend this company as a place to work

Former Employee - Buyer  in  North Hollywood, CA (US)
Former Employee - Buyer in North Hollywood, CA (US)

I worked at Macy's

Pros

strong training program
seasoned buyers
flexibility to move to different departments
upward mobility
senior management leadership

Cons

work life balance
holiday hours
long hours
heavy travel schedule

4663 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

It's a lot of work for minimum wage.

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Good discount, lots of praise when you do a good job, weekly drawings for store money, daily sales updates, etc.

Cons

Low pay, little help (you work by yourself a lot and things can get overwhelming on busy days.. phones ringing, trying to help customers, ring people up, and clean all at the same time. It's also very hard to finish cleaning at closing time.), other employees stealing your sales and not really caring as long as they benefit themselves.

Hire more recovery employees so we can have more help on the floor without having our sales stolen. Some days our sales goals are just TOO high and impossible to meet, especially with 3 or 4 other people to compete with.

Macy's East is an good place to work

Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Macy's east is a good place to work. Excellent place if you are a go getter and want to advance. Once you get your management team on your side and really perform (meaning you make your numbers), you can really develop and grow with the company. Within cosmetics, there is a lot of incentive to make numbers. You can get Macy's money as well as cash bonuses for performing (numbers) above the expectation.

Cons

The company is so numbers driven, as soon as you make one benchmark you are expected to sell more and more and more! You have to really be a salesman in order to do well. That also creates a super competitive environment. Only the 'sharks' survive. The management team doesn't effectively communicate with the sales associates. So there can be a lot of confusion concerning policies. And you will not make a ton of money as an associate.

The biggest advice I can give to the leadership of Macy's is: You must communicate more effectively. There have been policies implemented and my store management did not fully understand them. Therefore the associates aren't given the correct information. It causes lots of confusion and can create a negative atmosphere within the stores.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!