MasterCard

www.mastercard.com
  www.mastercard.com
There are newer employer reviews for MasterCard

My expectations were wrong

Former Employee - Vice President in Purchase, NY (US)
Former Employee - Vice President in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

When I thought about joining MasterCard, I had reservations. It appeared to be a good place to go if you had decided you wanted to coast along, and do a minimal amount of work. But my interview, and my subsequent job experience proved otherwise.

MasterCard is full of bright people, who are energetic and know the industry. With rare exception, I was impressed by the people I met, their backgrounds and the competency they brought to the tasks at hand.

For people who are interested in the payments space, it's a great place to work.

Cons

On the other hand, I would say that MasterCard is unnecessarily bureaucratic for an organization of its size. Because of the incentive system and other factors, there's a lot of turf battles, less than needed coordination, and inefficiencies. However, there is a concerted effort (and there has been for many years) to change that.

The IPO appeared to also change how the business was run--more risk adversion, more of a short term focus, more attention to boosting the daily stock price.

Stop being so risk adverse and allowing HR and Legal to run the business. Create better coordination by revising the incentive structure and individual objectives.

297 Other Employee Reviews for MasterCard (View Most Recent)

Historically has paid well with profit sharing. Can be a frustrating place to work

Current Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

MasterCard does pay well in comparison to other companies and there are a great number of bright people.

Cons

MasterCard has become way too risk averse. they won't fire people who should be let go, they take forever to make a decision and move forward with initiatives and there are too many cross functional work streams that aren't truly empowered to get anything done.

Upper management should do a better job of knowing who's who within the company. who is well respected, who is a "go to" on each team etc. Too many people are concerned with managing up only.

Out with the old

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Truly global company with many opportunities to work with and in other countries. Good pay for the job.

Cons

Executive Management are essentially people who grew up in the old association and therefore have no idea how to be leaders in a "real" company. And no context to know what they don't know

The unbelievable luck we've had to be in an industry growing 20% for years is just that...luck. Now that this growth is slowing, we need bold change to continue to grow. Be bold in picking new businesses to enter, and getting rid of senior management who can't see this.

There are newer employer reviews for MasterCard