MasterCard

www.mastercard.com
  www.mastercard.com
There are newer employer reviews for MasterCard

My expectations were wrong

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Purchase, NY (US)
Former Employee - Vice President in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

When I thought about joining MasterCard, I had reservations. It appeared to be a good place to go if you had decided you wanted to coast along, and do a minimal amount of work. But my interview, and my subsequent job experience proved otherwise.

MasterCard is full of bright people, who are energetic and know the industry. With rare exception, I was impressed by the people I met, their backgrounds and the competency they brought to the tasks at hand.

For people who are interested in the payments space, it's a great place to work.

Cons

On the other hand, I would say that MasterCard is unnecessarily bureaucratic for an organization of its size. Because of the incentive system and other factors, there's a lot of turf battles, less than needed coordination, and inefficiencies. However, there is a concerted effort (and there has been for many years) to change that.

The IPO appeared to also change how the business was run--more risk adversion, more of a short term focus, more attention to boosting the daily stock price.

Stop being so risk adverse and allowing HR and Legal to run the business. Create better coordination by revising the incentive structure and individual objectives.

281 Other Employee Reviews for MasterCard (View Most Recent)

Out with the old

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader  in  Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Truly global company with many opportunities to work with and in other countries. Good pay for the job.

Cons

Executive Management are essentially people who grew up in the old association and therefore have no idea how to be leaders in a "real" company. And no context to know what they don't know

The unbelievable luck we've had to be in an industry growing 20% for years is just that...luck. Now that this growth is slowing, we need bold change to continue to grow. Be bold in picking new businesses to enter, and getting rid of senior management who can't see this.

Generally speaking, a good place to work (depends on manager...)

Current Employee - Leader
    Current Employee - Leader

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

- Matches 6% on 401K (as of 2009)
    - Various products and groups which allow for career development
    - Tuition reimbursement
    - On-site amenities (hair, nail, dry cleaning, cafeteria, etc.)
    - Nice location; easy to get to (right off of 684)
    - Reasonable pay and benefits

Cons

- Bad communication from upper management continues to plague the company. Hard to relax when rumors of impending layoffs are constantly swirling.
    - Has some bad managers, but seems to be cleaning house.
    - Unfortunately, getting rid of really good, competent people while cleaning house.

- Be careful in simply meeting financial targets when laying off. You have lost some major assets to the company by targeting a headcount number instead of focusing on the low-performers and more expendable groups.
    - Worry about cutting too close to the bone. Starting to walk a tightrope between efficiency and overextending the staff and burning them out.
    - Customer service, customer service, customer service. Support those maintaining the business, as well as those generating revenue.

There are newer employer reviews for MasterCard

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!