MasterCard

www.mastercard.com

My expectations were wrong

Vice President (Former Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsWhen I thought about joining MasterCard, I had reservations. It appeared to be a good place to go if you had decided you wanted to coast along, and do a minimal amount of work. But my interview, and my subsequent job experience proved otherwise.

MasterCard is full of bright people, who are energetic and know the industry. With rare exception, I was impressed by the people I met, their backgrounds and the competency they brought to the tasks at hand.

For people who are interested in the payments space, it's a great place to work.

ConsOn the other hand, I would say that MasterCard is unnecessarily bureaucratic for an organization of its size. Because of the incentive system and other factors, there's a lot of turf battles, less than needed coordination, and inefficiencies. However, there is a concerted effort (and there has been for many years) to change that.

The IPO appeared to also change how the business was run--more risk adversion, more of a short term focus, more attention to boosting the daily stock price.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so risk adverse and allowing HR and Legal to run the business. Create better coordination by revising the incentive structure and individual objectives.

MasterCard is a tough place to work and get ahead!

Director (Former Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard

Pros: MasterCard offers a good place to balance work and home life. If you… Cons: MasterCard likes to clean house every quarter and never announces it in the media. They… Advice to Senior Management: Senior Management shoud spend more time intercating with employees. Bring in… More

Historically has paid well with profit sharing. Can be a frustrating place to work

Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros: MasterCard does pay well in comparison to other companies and… Cons: MasterCard has become way too risk averse. they won't fire people who should be let go, they take forever to make a… Advice to Senior Management: Upper management should do a better job of knowing who's who within the company. who is well respected,… More
There are newer reviews on MasterCard.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!