MasterCard

www.mastercard.com

Great Brand, Good working conditions but difficult environment to get things done

Former Employee - Market Leader  in  Purchase, NY (US)
Former Employee - Market Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

Everybody has heard of the company, you don't need to explain what your employer does. And for newbies to the industry, MCW does a great job of orientation and training new employees. The company offers good benefits and pay, though they have been pared significantly for new hires since 2007. The Purchase HQ and grounds are a beautiful place to work, but isolated if you're used to the bustle of Manhattan.

Cons

MCW is a remarkably bureaucratic environment and often hard to get things done in timely, efficient manner. For all the talk about acting with a sense of urgency, even a simple project can drag on for months--thanks to the "matrixed" environment, buy-in and consensus is required for just about everything, and is often an excuse for manager and lawyers who don't know anything to stick their fingers into your project. (In fairness, I've been told this is beginning to change under the new CEO who just came in.) But an awful lot of what I did was "meta"-work -- work we had to do to prove to somebody else in the organization why we should be allowed to do our real work our way.

Reducing the number of meetings and strip out the bureaucracy would allow employees to actually get on and do their jobs.

Other Reviews for MasterCard

thoughts on mastercard

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Talented co-workers, fairly innovative, good benefits.

Cons

difficult to move professionally, management is weak

There is a need for critical management skills such as; developing people, taking risks, seeing mistakes as opportunities.

Great potential

Former Employee - Senior Business Leader  in  Purchase, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

- Great level of resources
    - Attainable goals make for good compensation
    - Financially solid
    - Successful at driving interchange income to issuers
    - Great consumer brand and reputation among consumers

Cons

- Putting the customer last - internal harmony more important than meeting customer needs
    - No concept of succession planning or people development
    - No growth roadmap - past growth came naturally as payments were digitized; now VISA is eating their lunch in debit and Amex is signing up their issuers
    - No merchant strategy; merchants go to court and to Washington to get heard.
    - Employees not recognized for contributions but rather for keeping their heads down

You have a great global consumer brand and a solid financial position. Get some people in there who can turn that into a growth business.

There are newer employer reviews for MasterCard.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!