A company in decline ... retrenching and holding fast to outdated business models

Former Employee - Online Editor  in  Tampa, FL (US)
Former Employee - Online Editor in Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation is competitive in the market

Cons

Playing a losing game in today's media marketplace

There is more to news delivery than the paper that lands in the driveway and the news you put on TV based on your schedule ... get with the times

Other Reviews for Media General

Worst place I ever worked, bar none!

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Columbus, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Columbus, GA (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Knowledgeable and helpful co-workers who cared about the product. The product was a great one to sell. The compensation was very reasonable.

Cons

Managers are inept as it gets. Good ole boy system alive and well in their linen suits. Upper management is absolutely clueless. Middle management is just trying to hang onto their jobs. While I was there, middle managers were partying with reps and handing accounts out to the girls they partied with. Upper management was receiving reports of Peyton Place and they would shoot the messenger. The place was so bad they bought a traffic system that was virtually unusable. No body bothered to check it out before this huge corporate purchase? Thousands upon Thousands of dollars lost in advertiser dollars because they could not figure the system out. Departments were not allowed to talk to other departments unless they went through Department heads. If this company makes it through the decade, color me surprised.

Already given and rejected. They prefer to ride this wagon till the wheels fall off.

Don't go down with a sinking ship

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Media General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Product at one time was great. Nice people to work with. could have been a lifelong career.

Cons

Management has no clue about changing times, the paper is not what it use to be.. They sit there and say we are the trib and advertisers need us. This company for years has been reactives as opposed to proactive. Through mismanagement from the top all the way down to the local sales managers has given the St. Pete Times the opportunity to take over the Tampa Bay market.

Look for new jobs because It's too late. This company will be shut down and the building and land will be sold. You handed over the market to the Times, hope you enjoye!

There are newer employer reviews for Media General.

Worked for Media General? Contribute to the Community!