There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Growing company, but IT is a big mess

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

it is still growing in business, meaning IT has lots of things to do. Dont have to worry about being laid off at this moment.

Cons

IT management is a big mess. There is no asset management, no IT service management. Most of the employees are contractors, no ownership. Employees turn over rate is high.

Stablized the core organization,

984 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Custom Framer

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Commerce, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Commerce, MI (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good environment, great people, good training and learning curve. You have the opportunity to grow close with the other employees. Lots of potential for advancement.

Cons

Minimum wage, poor hours, inexperienced management. Most of the cons are typical of any retail job regardless of the industry.

Hands down my favorite job

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Michaels promotes individual expression. They're ok with visible tattoos and piercings as well as unnatural colors in your hair. I really liked that I could be myself and I was still a manager. I even gauged my ears out while working there. I also worked with a very close group of people. Going to work was a blast, all my friends were there. They offer a nice employee discount which is awesome if you're an artist. I also had a great benefits package including a 401(k).

Cons

The pay is not competitive at all. They pay most part time employees minimum wage and as a manager I didn't even make $10 an hour. There is a ton of paperwork to keep up with and things can get disorganized very quickly. It's also hard to get in touch with the HR department if you need to report something.

First off, if a store manager is doing a great job with their store: Leave them alone!!! Don't transfer them all over the place. Secondly, if you do have to replace a store manager: Take some time interviewing potential candidates and actually put some thought into it.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores