Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com
  www.michaels.com
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Growing company, but IT is a big mess

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

it is still growing in business, meaning IT has lots of things to do. Dont have to worry about being laid off at this moment.

Cons

IT management is a big mess. There is no asset management, no IT service management. Most of the employees are contractors, no ownership. Employees turn over rate is high.

Stablized the core organization,

1056 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Hands down my favorite job

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Michaels promotes individual expression. They're ok with visible tattoos and piercings as well as unnatural colors in your hair. I really liked that I could be myself and I was still a manager. I even gauged my ears out while working there. I also worked with a very close group of people. Going to work was a blast, all my friends were there. They offer a nice employee discount which is awesome if you're an artist. I also had a great benefits package including a 401(k).

Cons

The pay is not competitive at all. They pay most part time employees minimum wage and as a manager I didn't even make $10 an hour. There is a ton of paperwork to keep up with and things can get disorganized very quickly. It's also hard to get in touch with the HR department if you need to report something.

First off, if a store manager is doing a great job with their store: Leave them alone!!! Don't transfer them all over the place. Secondly, if you do have to replace a store manager: Take some time interviewing potential candidates and actually put some thought into it.

I enjoy working here, yet hours could be better.

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a crafty person who mainly does jewelry and art, Michael's is a cool place for me to work. I feel that by being crafty myself, I am able to help customers more efficiently. I also cashier alongside of occasional sales floor, and it is enjoyable to me to talk to customers about projects they're working on. I have met some fabulous people. I also get along great with my coworkers.

Cons

This is a fairly slow time of the year, which means hours are not superb. I wish they were better but there's not much you can do about that. My hours are decent now (about 20 per week as a cashier), but they could be better. Also, sometimes I feel like the store is understaffed and it is VERY frustrating when you're the only cashier and have a long line with nobody to help on backup. YOU are the one who has to take the blow of angry customers, when it's not your fault and you don't have the power to do anything about it.

Perhaps have more cashiers working during the day when you know sales will be high or at LEAST a reliable backup person.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores