There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Wonderful learning experience. Great place to spend a few years.

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of resources at your disposal. Amazing corporate culture, wonderful opportunity to be among some of the brightest people in United States.

Cons

Very stressful. Managers are not professionally trained and do not seem accountable for decisions effecting employees. Long term career paths are not clear.

Train managers, create better long term retention of employees. Give people advancement based on experience as well as performance. Often the employees that take a lot of risk are also the ones that fail.

8429 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Vast range of jobs, tasks, products & services provides lots of niches for software professionals.

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

There are still some truly great folks who work at MIcrosoft. You can learn a lot from them. The sheer diversity of products within the same company is hard to match: you can find exactly the right product on which you'd like to work. Many teams have really good work/life balance. You'll have the opportunity on many teams to see world-scale software being developed and maintained.

Cons

The review system is very discouraging: a large chunk of the employee base will get a dispiriting message every year and there's no real (economic) benefit to being on a high-performing team.

Though large, Microsoft is insular when it comes to its own technologies and products. It's hard to maintain or grow your skills outside of the MS ecosystem without a lot of isolated effort.

Huge legacy and installed user base size creates a lot of inertial that makes innovation harder. This applies to both the products themselves and the processes/tools used to create them.

Revamp, replace or remove the rating system. Add some notion of team rewards for success.

Microsoft is high drive where enough is never enough.

Former Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

work with crazy smart people. it's rare you would ever hear someone say "that is not my job." The phrase "work hard, play hard" sums up my experience. At times you will work long hours and other times can have a more balanced life.

Cons

it's a big company and takes a lot of meetings to get things done. The review model pretty much is a bummer. Good is rarely good enough. If you do the job you were hired to do and do it well, you will only get an average review.

you need to do a better job embracing customer service. Upper management will talk about the customer being centric to what we do, but reality we are so focused on our internal processes, the customer, at times gets lost.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft