Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Golden Handcuffs

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Intern in Bellevue, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great compensation, fun activities, fabulous intern gifts- you can tell that money was really thrown your way as an intern.

Cons

Office work can get tedious, some interns were given projects that weren't utilized after they were gone.

8789 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Life of a Systems Engineer @ Microsoft

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborative and flexible schedules. Microsoft has good benefits and wealth of learning opportunity because it has huge selections of articles, books, and media in the library.

Cons

Depending on the group(s) you're in but some groups practice discrimination and only hired their own kind of people (ie..East Indian People).

Please be more involved in employee selection and careful on who you put in charge of hiring. Group diversity is most important and harnessing the most talents.

Diverse products to work on, senior talent to learn from, always seeking to improve.

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Tired on working on the operating system in the Windows Division? You can get a job at Bing on Search technologies or Kinect working on human computer interaction or databases in SQL, all without changing your company. Microsoft's diversity of products makes it a dream for computer science grads.
    Plenty of senior talent makes for great mentorship opportunities for new engineers. The depth and expertise of developers at Microsoft is obvious as evidenced by the recent appearance of Google and Facebook in Seattle to grab this tech talent.
    Not afraid to make big bets, Microsoft should never be counted out, whether it is investing in a gaming console for the living room or making the Surface or delivering the next generation smart phone OS in a short period of time. The same diversity of products I mentioned earlier puts it in the unique position in the industry to create integrated experiences that only it can create in short periods of time.
    We may not get free lunch everyday but where it counts, our benefits rock. Did I mention the health care benefits at the company are the best in the industry (yes, despite the changes in 2013)? Sorry Google and Facebook.

Cons

We're not exactly the leaders in the consumer segment right now and what's worse is that we are probably a generation behind in tablets and smart phones, when we really had no reason to be. It's going to be an uphill battle against iOS and Android.
    Microsoft is still learning how to release products at a fast cadence, something that is critical to being competitive in the industry today. Some groups at Microsoft are not as fast paced as you might like - ask when you interview.

Get aggressive at preventing top talent from leaving for Google, Amazon and Facebook.
    Make it easier to change jobs within the company. If we have to do 5 interviews for a job within the company, and 5 for other companies, why wouldn't your top talent try out both options?
    Stop chasing the tail-lights. Let's really focus on product (I said product, not tech) innovation in-house, so we're not left trying to chase after markets that our competition creates.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft