There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Microsoft may be for you

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA (US)
Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft is extremely professional and mature when it comes to software development. If you want to know how to really make software, this is where you want to work. Also, if you plan to have any kind of health issues, ever, you want to work here as well. The health benefits are gold plated. And the chances for advancement are good (up to senior level).

Cons

If you are not on the software development track you might not have the most fun in the world. Testers often try to move over to software development. And PMs seem to change quite frequently. So some jobs are better than others there. Also, once you reach the senior level it is very, very hard to move up to the next level (architect). Some groups don't even have an architect assigned to them, so you may never rise above senior level (I certainly couldn't). Finally, the cafeteria food is not that great.

After having tried living in a Java world, I just don't see how people can live with all the random open source stuff that literally does not work. When you develop in a Microsoft environment it all works. There is simply no comparison. But somehow you guys lost out the mindshare to every single developer I've ever met outside of Microsoft. Your development environment can cost $10,000! Haven't you figured out by now that people want their dev tools to be free. And people will put up with non-functioning crap in order to get that price of free. You guys seriously need to drop the cost of the Visual Studio environment and get people to see how easy it is to work with.

8056 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Microsoft non-head-quarters is not same as Microsoft Redmond

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Technology breadth
    Incredible culture
    Best benefits package
    Job stability

Cons

Microsoft mountain view or any non-headquarter-campus is very different from headquarters. Options are less and career growth is limited

Doing a great job in general but make sure you get the distributed development model right

Great, laid-back place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Schedules very flexible, freedom to do what you want, working with lots of other very smart engineers, and good low-to-middle level management. A fun place to work, where the rules are lax, and you have the opportunity to mostly work on what excites you.

Cons

Incompetent senior management, many products end up being mediocre due to a lack of vision and execution from the top. At the end of each day, I would say I had fun, but ultimately my work has little positive impact on the outside world. A lot of empire building, and resistance to improvement or change.

Upper management should pay closer to attention to the product groups they're incubating, and be willing to take a bit more risks. If they stay their current course, MS is doomed to mediocrity. They have the talent in-house, they just don't know what to do with it.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!